Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Im a linux user since a few years back. Im now in the process of buying new hardware for my computer (mobo, disk, memory...the works). Im researching what graphics ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] Choosing graphics card to minimize troubleshooting...

Hi,

Im a linux user since a few years back. Im now in the process of buying new hardware for my computer (mobo, disk, memory...the works). Im researching what graphics card I should buy for my i386-system that causes the least amount of fuzz to get up n running with the right screen resolution and so on?

It will be a Debian desktop system running X. I will be doing web surf, playing movies, streaming video, and using OO. No gaming.
    The graphics card will be a PCI-E card. My requirements are:

- Capable of screen resolutions up to 1680x1050 (22" screen)
    - Dual-head (i want to be able to expand my dekstop to two diffrent screens). Double HDMI or DVI is not required, VGA and DVI for example is fine.

So...Nvidia or ATI? What model?

Appreciate any input. Thanx in advance!
    /Garth

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by garthbrooks2010 View Post
    So...Nvidia or ATI? What model?
    Hello and welcome!

I've used most of the nVidia cards from the 5200 GeForce on up to the GTX260 and they all worked great under Linux. Over the last 10 years, I've never regretted purchasing nVidia for use under Linux.
    oz

Just Joined!
    My main distro is Debian, and I use it with an ATI Radeon 4850/1GB. Following the instruction on the Debian forum to get the ATI driver has allowed me to use ATIs proprietary driver and Catalyst Control Center. It works good, it runs X-Plane, which is quite demanding on both the video card and CPU.

Unfortunately Ive never tried an nVidia card. Most Linux users say nVidia is easier/better, but ATI has been fine for me. The initial install of ATIs driver was confusing to look at, but following the instructions step by step worked.

-Chris P

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Both Cards work fine but ATI support was not good enough earlier. Installation instructions are confusing too. Only a few ATI Cards work out of box.

Performance of both cards is good. It is easy to install driver for Nvidia card in most of Linux distros and a lot distros detect Nvidia card and install its driver without any problem.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Ok, thank you very much for your replies. They're appreciated!

/G