Find the answer to your Linux question:
Having computers everywhere these days are getting common...for something like a car what would you use as storage...? Normal disk...cheap but prone to jarring while driving? CF card...tends to fail ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Mobile linux storage...which one?

Having computers everywhere these days are getting common...for something like a car what would you use as storage...?

Normal disk...cheap but prone to jarring while driving?
    CF card...tends to fail quickly with high amounts of constant writes
    SSD...expensive
    SD card...not sure how these stack up?
    USB flash drive...again not so sure
    Other?

Please correct me if any of my statements are wrong and feel free to add more info to any of them, especially the storage types I'm not sure how they would stack up.

oz
    forum.guy
    SSDs are now coming down in price quickly, and their storage capacity, speed, and reliability are improving greatly. The ones with really big storage size are still pretty expensive, though.
    Last edited by oz; 06-29-2010 at 04:49 AM. Reason: spell
    oz

Just Joined!
    Yes, they are coming down in price but when I only need about 4gb you're still talking 5 times the price than a SD card or USB flash drive...not sure how well they'd stack up in comparison for reliability.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by liviy View Post
    not sure how well they'd stack up in comparison for reliability.
    Many of the latest SSD models are being marketed as more reliable than standard hard drives because they have no moving parts, but I'm not sure how well that might currently hold up under actual use in a server or desktop environment. I tend to believe they would hold up better than standard drives in a busy mobile environment, though. Most newer SSDs are much faster than flash drives, so if speed is not important but spending as little money as possible is, the flash drive might be your best bet. Maybe some of the other here will reply on the other options that you've mentioned.
    oz