Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking to buy a black and white laser printer that I can attach to my Linux server, and export via cups / samba. My server is running Fedora 12, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

printer suggestions

I'm looking to buy a black and white laser printer that I can attach to my Linux server, and export via cups / samba. My server is running Fedora 12, but will probably be moved to Fedora 13 whenever I have a weekend where I'm bored .

I know NOTHING about printers, I rarely use them. I'm not looking for something super high quality. this is mostly for printing off documents, not pictures. I'm most concerned with the ability to share over the network, and the price for toner, I don't want to sell my arm and leg for the thing.

I looked at the networked enabled printers, but they are all either wireless G, or 100 mbps, and I don't want to degrade my wireless N / gigabit network for a printer.

Any suggestions? what brands are good with linux? what brands are not a rip off for toner replacement?

Thanks
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by meton_magis View Post
    Any suggestions? what brands are good with linux? what brands are not a rip off for toner replacement?
    I've been using black and white only Brother laser printers for the last 10 years with Linux and have never had any issues, so I'll continue to buy them. I'm thinking that all brands might be considered ripoffs when it comes to toner replacements, though. I've never purchased re-manufactured cartridges but am thinking about trying one to see how it goes. I've heard there are really good ones and really bad ones, so maybe I'll be lucky.
    oz

I'll keep that in mind when I shop around. Thanks Ozar
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4