Find the answer to your Linux question:
I bought a no-name, (literally there is no name on the device or on the box), wireless USB. It says it can be used in windows or linux, and has ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wireless USB setup help needed.

I bought a no-name, (literally there is no name on the device or on the box), wireless USB. It says it can be used in windows or linux, and has a mini-disk with windows and linux drivers. What I cant figure out, is how to load the drivers from the mini-disk into Kubuntu on my desktop, or DSL on my laptop.

In Kubuntu, it appears to be setup, and sees my network, but Firefox can't find the server.

In DSL, it doesn't find any wifi signals.

I am a newbie, and not quite sure what I need to do to get it to work. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What Linux distribution+version+kernel are you running?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

The laptop has the latest version of damn small linux, current.iso. The desktop has Kubuntu 10.04. Both are installed on the HD, not run as live CD.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, did you try to install the Linux driver? Are you sure it was for a compatible kernel to what you use? Did it build a kernel module for your OS, or was the kernel module pre-packaged?

I'm so green, I don't know how to answer those questions. It came with a mini-cd, which had drivers for different windows flavors and one marked linux. I clicked on linux and it brought up a menu for diferent models (Mine is RT2070). I am using it on 2 different computers.

On the desktop amd2600, Kubuntu 10.04, it seemed to recognize the device. That is the wireless connection started showing the name of my network, but firefox "cannot find server". The WPA key was in, but it still couldn't find the server.

On the Toshiba Portege 7140CT, P3 500, Damn Small Linux installed, but not sure how to get to file on cd rom and install it in DSL.

I found out the USB device is a Ralink 2070. I also went back to Puppy linux. It sees the device, but puts in the Ralink 2800 driver. I have the driver on a mini disk, but don't know how to get it into the driver file, as it doesn't autmatically install. Do I use apt or what?

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    I found out the USB device is a Ralink 2070. I also went back to Puppy linux. It sees the device, but puts in the Ralink 2800 driver. I have the driver on a mini disk, but don't know how to get it into the driver file, as it doesn't autmatically install. Do I use apt or what?
    It depends upon the format the driver file is in. What is the name on disc?

The disk has linux and MS drivers, in the linux folder it shows: Linux_STA_v2.1.1.0, inside that folder is an icon of a cardboard box with the same Linux_STA_v2.1.1.0 label.
    It does not showany tar label afteer the Linux_STA_v2.1.1.0 or any other suffix.

Forgot to mention, when I click on the box, it gives me the msg "would you like to create a new archive or add to an existing archive?"

Thanks for the help.

Switched the desktop to PCLinuxOS, and it sees the usb, sees my network, shows info being passed back and forth, then eth0 down, connection failed. In the hardware list, it shows the USB wireless under the ethernet card. Does this mean that the usb passes info through the ethernet card? Also, it identifies the usb as rallink but a different model number/driver.