Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was reading the how-to on these forums about how to mount a flash drive onto linux- and as i was following directions step by step, there was one step ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mounting a USB help

I was reading the how-to on these forums about how to mount a flash drive onto linux- and as i was following directions step by step, there was one step i couldnt get past.

after i put

su

it asks for a password. uh what is the password? I assumed it was my admin password so i tried to type it, but it doesnt let me type anything after password.
    so i pushed enter, and it says authentication failed.
    i assumed it was normal and went on to do the make directory, but it wouldnt recognize the command.

what im trying to do is mount the usb, so i can download windows drivers i need for a different computer. but as it is right now, i cant figure out how to get my windows drivers from my netbook on to my flash drive so i can put them on my windows computers which doesnt have net access without the modem drivers installed.

can anyone help?
    if it matters, i run jolicloud on my netbook, and win XP on my desktop.

thanks

Just Joined!
    heres the terminal notes-

breanna@jolicloud24:/mnt$ su
    Password:
    su: Authentication failure
    breanna@jolicloud24:/mnt$ mkdir usbflash
    mkdir: cannot create directory `usbflash': Permission denied
    breanna@jolicloud24:/mnt$

Linux Guru
    Which distribution of Linux are you using? Ubuntu, Fedora, Opensuse???

In most, if you open a terminal and type "su" or "su -" you will be prompted for a password. That would be the password you assigned to root when you installed. If you are using Ubuntu or one of its derivatives, you would use the "sudo" command or "sudo su" and you would be prompted for a password. This would be the user password. In either case, when you enter the password, nothing shows in the terminal so type carefully and hit the Enter key. You should be able to do commands then.

If you still have, problems post back with specifics about what happened and any error message.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    the sudo su worked! ty yancek

Just Joined!
    only problem now is that anything i click on from my desktop i get a popup that says unable to verify my Xauthorization. Add to that now i cant download anything because i get a notice saying im out of room, and I cant figure out how to change my download path from tmp to my flash drive. any ideas???

Linux Guru
    Open a terminal in Ub untu and type the following command: sudo fdisk -l (lower case Letter L) and post that output. It is your partition information and hopefully someone will be able to help. I'm not sure I understand your problem now. Where do you get the notice your are out of room? In xp?You will need to mount the flash to continue which is why the above info is needed in order to advise your

Just Joined!
    breanna@jolicloud24:~$ sudo fdisk

Usage: fdisk [-l] [-b SSZ] [-u] device
    E.g.: fdisk /dev/hda (for the first IDE disk)
    or: fdisk /dev/sdc (for the third SCSI disk)
    or: fdisk /dev/eda (for the first PS/2 ESDI drive)
    or: fdisk /dev/rd/c0d0 or: fdisk /dev/ida/c0d0 (for RAID devices)
    breanna@jolicloud24:~$ -l

?? so btw yesterday when i was trying the USB mount, i followed all the directions and it was showing up on my terminal as looking like it was mounted, but i still couldnt copy/send anything to the usb. I tried reformatting it (it was already set with fat16) so i tried NTFS and whatever that did, now it just shows up as unallocated space on my partition manager.

Just Joined!
    oh and when i was trying to download the drivers i need for windows (windows is on my desktop and i use jolicloud on my netbook) it was telling me that i was out of room on /tmp/some random file name
    i then checked my tmp folder and no such file existed, and checked my disk usage and i still have plenty of free space..

Linux Guru
    You didn't enter the command correctly, forgot the lower case Letter L at the end:

sudo fdisk -l

Do you now have the directory/folder created in the /mnt directory (usbflash) where you can mount it?
    Do I understand correctly that you have nothing on the flash drive? no operating system?
    Is it now showing as not being formatted?

oh and when i was trying to download the drivers i need for windows (windows is on my desktop and i use jolicloud on my netbook) it was telling me that i was out of room
    What is the "it" you refer to that was telling you...?

i then checked my tmp folder and no such file existed,
    Did you check to see if it was a hidden file? I doubt this is part of the problem but...?

I never heard of jolicloud before I saw this post. How is it?