Find the answer to your Linux question:
We have several Optiplex 760 towers installed. On one of them I have installed Ubuntu 10.04. All of the others have remained as Windows machines. Ubuntu was running well on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dell Optiplex 760 problem

We have several Optiplex 760 towers installed. On one of them I have installed Ubuntu 10.04. All of the others have remained as Windows machines. Ubuntu was running well on that machine until approximately two weeks ago. At that point, we could no longer log in. The root and all other passwords no longer worked. I figured no problem, I would simply reinstall Ubuntu and reconfigure the device. When I attempted to do so, the CD/DVD drive would no longer read the install disk. I have tried other methods of installation (USB stick and Knoppix) to no avail. We recently discovered that Dell issued a BIOS upgrade that might solve the problem. Installation on our Windows machines seems to be effective but in order to load the bios, I must start the machine in Windows or DOS mode and install the upgrade. Problem is the upgrade won't fit on a floppy and the system cannot read the DVD or USB drives. Any suggestions about how I might work around this problem?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Systems don't just stop working without reason. Are you sure the system isn't fubar? The fact it won't read a CD or USB drive is telling me that somehow, the magic smoke got let out...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Dell Info

Seems that Dell has figured out that there is a problem with the processor on this machine and has prepared a BIOS fix. Hence the need to flash it. Just can't figger out how to do it!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Contact Dell. It is their responsibility to deal with this sort of design/implementation failure.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!