Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I was looking to build a fast pc under Linux (primarily) and Windows (for games like WoW and similar). I aquired a Novatech Corona Micro ATX Tower Case With ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation [SOLVED] Building a Good PC

Hi

I was looking to build a fast pc under Linux (primarily) and Windows (for games like WoW and similar). I aquired a Novatech Corona Micro ATX Tower Case With a 450W PSU.

My last attempt on buying a mobo, the pins from the front (USB, Sound, LED, Power and Reset buttons).

I also would like to know if the AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0 GHz 2MB Cache Dual Core Processor is a good Processor

I desperately need help

Many thanks in advance

Miguel

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't think that CPU will give you a super fast system, but it should work fine with most Linux distros. The power supply might be cutting it a bit close, depending on what all you do with your system and how many peripherals are attached to it and powered up.

Hope you'll have fun putting it all together.
    oz

Just Joined!
    so what sort of psu would you suggest? I'm planning in having BD Rom, 2 HD Drives to start with. Don't plan doing much more with it

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by AvicusUK View Post
    so what sort of psu would you suggest? I'm planning in having BD Rom, 2 HD Drives to start with. Don't plan doing much more with it
    There are a number of websites online that can help you to determine the proper size of power supply for your computer system. Here's one example:

Welcome to Corsair :: Power Supplies

You can google computer power supply calculator for some others, and you might want to run the calculations on a couple of them just to be sure. The power supply is one place you don't want to skimp. I'd add a few more watts to whatever they suggest if you think you might ever want to expand your system.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Can you guys recommend a good motherboard with on-board video (fast but affordable).

Would appreciate some websites I could look at, thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    I've had good luck with ASUS, EVGA, and Gigabyte motherboards in the past, and just about anything currently available should work with Linux, except for the very newest of products in some cases. Most of the time, even those work find with Linux, or they will as soon as the next kernel is released.

You could check out a website such as NewEgg to see which mainboards are in your price range and have the best user ratings, and then check the user reviews on their site to see if anyone has said that a certain board does or does not work well with Linux. Then when you find the board that you are interested in, you can purchase it from whichever vendor works best for you.
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Myself, I prefer Intel motherboards. They are dead-bang reliable and work well with Linux. Don't get a board with integrated video, though the Intel HD audio is very good, and has worked just fine for me. Instead, get a nice nVidia board w/ 512MB video ram or so. I'm running an 8800GT board w/ dual display capability, and it works really, really well for under $100USD. Intel also has a lot of good diagnostic software for their mobos, which a lot of manufacturers are lax about.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    ╬ found this mobo but i'm no good in knowing a good one.
    Intel« BOXD410PT Intel Atom D410 Intel NM10 Mini ITX Motherboard.

Is it a good one?

Its a good board. But for low power small boxes. Intel Atom Processor is what I have in my Netbooks.

Not the board you would want for

I was looking to build a fast pc under Linux (primarily) and Windows (for games like WoW and similar)
    While it will run Linux and Windows OK. Not very robust for gaming I think with a Intel Atom and integrated graphics.

If needing to go the inexpensive route. You can look/Check out MASONTEX's thread.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...-computer.html

Build a $200 Linux PC - How To by ExtremeTech
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by AvicusUK View Post
    ╬ found this mobo but i'm no good in knowing a good one.
    Intel« BOXD410PT Intel Atom D410 Intel NM10 Mini ITX Motherboard.

Is it a good one?
    You can see what 10 people that own it had to say about it here:

Customer Reviews Of Intel BOXD410PT Intel Atom D410 Intel NM10 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo

It appears that most of those reviewing it liked it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you will, or that it will serve your needs well.
    oz