Find the answer to your Linux question:
I love the design of the new Magic Trackpad but I can't sacrifice my Ubuntu system for Windows or Mac just for an accessory! As a compromise, does anyone know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Magic Trackpad

I love the design of the new Magic Trackpad but I can't sacrifice my Ubuntu system for Windows or Mac just for an accessory!
    As a compromise, does anyone know of a driver either released or in the works?

Thanks in advance!
    John

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    ?? What is "Magic Trackpad"? Chances are, Ubuntu will deal with it, at least in some fashion.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

See: Multitouch Trackpad Gestures coming to Linux

I had the same question and first found your post and then this:
    www,pcworld,com/article/194509/multitouch_trackpad_gestures_coming_to_linux_chrom e_and_other_oses.html
    (Sorry, cannot post it as link, you may just google for "Multitouch Trackpad Gestures" "Synaptics")

Just Joined!

Thumbs up works

I bought the Magic Trackpad yesterday and it works fine on my macs as it does on linux.
    Except Linux doesn't support thos cool osx gestures
    But you can use it as mouse replacement...

In Ubuntu Karmic (10.04) e.g. you just need to get kernel 2.6.35 - which is available from the ppa:kernel/ppa repo. One reboot and one bt pairing later it works...left/right click and point and click (the last one only using the integrated button).
    In Ubuntu 10.10 it works from the scratch hence 10.10 alrady includes 2.6.35 or newer kernel...

Have fun with it...

/sw

Quote Originally Posted by grisu View Post
    I had the same question and first found your post and then this:
    www,pcworld,com/article/194509/multitouch_trackpad_gestures_coming_to_linux_chrom e_and_other_oses.html
    (Sorry, cannot post it as link, you may just google for "Multitouch Trackpad Gestures" "Synaptics")

Banned
    You will only be able to get a maximum of up to 2 finger up/down scrolling on Linux with the magic trackpad.

Pinch-to-rotate, 3-finger and 4 finger scrolling won't work.

which makes it as good as an expensive paperweight.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    You will only be able to get a maximum of up to 2 finger up/down scrolling on Linux with the magic trackpad.

That may be true today, but I know that people are working on enhanced multi-touch interfaces for Linux systems, especially with new smart phones and notepads. In fact, I understand there is already such for some Android phones, so it should only be a matter of a bit of time before it mainstreams - hopefully...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Thumbs up hmhm

Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post

Multitouch support is said to come with ubuntu Maverick (10.10)...
    Also Firefox and Chrome are reported to work on Multitouch Support to come soon.
    Still I like the fact that I can use the trackpad on my macs as well as on my linux boxes

To correct a mistake in my last post: Ubuntu 10.4 is not Karmic Koala but Lucid Lynx..

cheers
    Sebastian