Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
No clue how you managed to install Kubuntu without repositories set. This E: thing does not make sense at all. Basically, you do have python package installed. It's a part ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

No clue how you managed to install Kubuntu without repositories set.
    This E: thing does not make sense at all.

Basically, you do have python package installed. It's a part of base system for any Linux distribution. What you need is python-dev package which contains Python sources.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    No clue how you managed to install Kubuntu without repositories set.
    I don't know...I've followed the auto-installation of the cd.The only thing that I had done is to choose the partition in which I've installed Kubuntu.

Now I've installed the python development package doing
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install python-dev
    but the error shown remain the same...
    I don't understand very well the situation but could it be an error of SWIG?

hid_wrap.c:126:20: error: Python.h: No such file or directory

The error is exactly the same?

Search result for Debian

Probably you didn't install correct dev package. Does your package manager have search feature? Have you read Kubuntu documentation about handling software packages?

Just Joined!
    yes the error is exactly the same.
    I've read the support pages given by the site of kubuntu about installing software.
    excuse me but italian wikipedia gives to repository another meaning.
    Now I've understand what do you mean for repository.

My repositories are set to download packages from the Italian Server (Main, restricted, universe and Multiverse).
    are there other repositories to add giving their APT line?

I've some questions about some things that I don't understand:
    1) the packages reported in the page that you've included in the previous post are the ones that I should install? they contain Python.h but how could I know what are the one that's good for me?Installing one of them blindly is there the risk to install a lot of useless files? and is it possible that exist two different Python.h?
    2) I don't know what's the search feature that you ask me and I have difficulties in understanding which is my package manager...

another supposition that is appeared in my mind is that I can use
    Code:
    apt-get build-dep python-dev
    because on the web I've found that:
    "The build dependencies are in affect when packages are being used to compile and link other software. "
    it seems to be my case( I need these files to make another software work)...but I want to ask it to you before doing it because it will download a lot of files (629 MB)...and also because I'm not sure to have understand well what you want to say to me in the previous post.

Google is your friend.
    Kubuntu package manager - Google Search
    build-dep is what you need to build python from source, this is not the case.
    You want to compile your own application, thus you need to satisfy dependencies by yourself.
    Theoretically it is possible there are different Python.h files, any of those should do the job, though.

Just Joined!
    I've tried to search these 4 package
    python2.4-dev
    python2.4-dbg
    python2.5-dbg
    python2.5-dev
    it says that these packages doesn't exist more and only for the last (python2.5-dev) it says that it was substitute with python-old-doctools
    I've installed python-old-doctools but the error remain again exactly the same.

I think that my package manager isn't adept because I don't find it in anyway (menu, commandline)...
    the only object that seems to be a package manager is called kpackage kit: it let me to search packages by name and to filter them but it hasn't the possibility to search in the package contenent.

Just Joined!
    with kpackage kit maybe I''ve found something interesting:
    it's called
    generate wrappers for Python and tcl from C++ code
    the description is:
    CableSwig is used to create interfaces (i.e. "wrappers") to interpreted languages such as Tcl and Python.
    It was created to produce wrappers for ITK because the toolkit uses C++ structures that SWIG cannot parse (deeply nested template instantiations).
    CableSwig is a combination tool that uses GCC_XML as the c++ parser.
    The input files are Cable style input files.
    The XML produced from the Cable/GCC_XML input files are then parsed and feed into a modified version of SWIG.
    SWIG is a software development tool that connects programs written in C and C++ with a variety of high-level programming languages.
    It is used to generate the language bindings to the target language.
    Currently, Tcl and Python are supported.

its group is development and not final user (is it secure to install development packages?).
    the things that recall me is that it talks about wrappers (the code part that doesn't run and create problems that use python.h is called hid_wrap.c)...

Note the file you are serching for is Python.h, not python.h.

Just Joined!
    searching by file (with kpackage kit) it finds that Python.h appears only in the package python2.6-dev but when I try to install this package it says that I've already the most recent version of it.

Just Joined!
    However using locate Python.h seems to be on my pc
    Code:
    gabriele@Paolo:~$ locate Python.h
    /usr/include/python2.6/Python.h

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast