Find the answer to your Linux question:
Today, pondering about cooling solutions and a little daydream of over-clocking, I thought about what happens to mineral oil at low temperatures. Temperatures the same as liquid nitrogen. I had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mineral Oil at low Temperatures.

Today, pondering about cooling solutions and a little daydream of over-clocking, I thought about what happens to mineral oil at low temperatures. Temperatures the same as liquid nitrogen. I had an idea to have a column of liquid nitrogen sitting on the CPU, nothing new. But then to drive out moisture and dissipate heat better, immersing the rest of the mother board in mineral oil. The only problem is is that I am unsure of what happen to the oil at such low temperatures; I would believe that is get thick or forms a jelly. Thus two questions are posed here:

1. What happens to mineral oil at low temperatures?

2. Has this been done before?

Linux User
    Hi,
    I'm not quite sure myself ... but I think it will become "ice" at such low temperature.
    I made some googling but couldn't find a clear answer when "mineral oil" changes into ice.
    The reason was, that there are several different mineral oils ... of cause I tried looking for isolation oil but found no information about the temperature ... I've never seen a transformer or switch with a temperature less than -20C ... maybe in Siberia they have such a information *gg*

However if you intend to put your motherboard into a "bath" of mineral oil and cool it down I would suggest that you keep the temperature over -50C.

I for myself would start to test the behavior myself ...

A tip ... if you freeze part of the oil and wait the rest fluid oil will be cooled to the exact freeze point ...

Sorry for my bad English I don't know all the vocables.