Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is quite an open topic, but I think it is a moving target and can be interesting to discuss with fellow Linux users. I want to build a dedicated ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Current good hardware guide

This is quite an open topic, but I think it is a moving target and can be interesting to discuss with fellow Linux users.

I want to build a dedicated Linux box, but want to make sure I select the most suitable hardware for Linux. I have searched for guides but they seem bit out of date and plus, I like to hear from real users.

The kind of thing that would help the most is:

AMD or Intel?

How many cores? E.g. is there much benefit in Linux to the number of cores or a cut-off where it makes no difference?

Graphics - nVidia or ATI or does it depend on what the function of the box is?

How many hard disks and what configuration or is one big one good enough?

Memory: amount and configuration (e.g. 3 x 2GB, etc.)

Blue Ray: any point?

There are many more considerations I am sure, but it would be good to build the next machine with Linux in mind, rather than replacing a Windows machine with Linux (even though it slaughters it for performance). I want to get the most out of the new hardware!

I currently use Ubuntu, if it makes a difference. Budget does not matter but maybe aim for the $1000 mark as I am not building a supercomputer!

Thanks,
    S

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by samsonite2010 View Post
    The kind of thing that would help the most is:

AMD or Intel?

How many cores? E.g. is there much benefit in Linux to the number of cores or a cut-off where it makes no difference?

Graphics - nVidia or ATI or does it depend on what the function of the box is?

How many hard disks and what configuration or is one big one good enough?

Memory: amount and configuration (e.g. 3 x 2GB, etc.)

Blue Ray: any point?
    I like Intel but AMD works fine with Linux and might be less expensive.

Anything dual core or more should work fine with most distros. You really don't even need dual core for some distros.

I like nVidia, but some users have success with ATI. It's just that I generally see more problem reports with ATI. That could change in the future.

One disk is all you need, but another for data or backups isn't a bad idea.

1 GB of RAM should run most distros without any issues. More doesn't hurt, but many distros run fine with less.

No point in Blu-ray at this time.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ok, thanks. Considering that I am replacing a 4GB dual core Intel, I am not looking for a cheap solution, but more a long lasting, high performance solution. I will never get less than 2 cores, but is there a big advantage to 4 or 6 in Linux?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by samsonite2010 View Post
    Ok, thanks. Considering that I am replacing a 4GB dual core Intel, I am not looking for a cheap solution, but more a long lasting, high performance solution. I will never get less than 2 cores, but is there a big advantage to 4 or 6 in Linux?
    Not much advantage unless you do lots of heavy resource intensive work with your PC. I have dual and quad core PCs and can't say that I feel much difference in them. That indicates to me that I'm probably not working them to their fullest extent.

One thing that I found recently is that hard drives are a huge bottleneck when it comes to speed. I have fast mechanical drives, but when I switched over to SSDs, things started moving much faster. The problem is the storage size / price factor compared to mechanical drives.
    oz

If you ask whether Linux can utilize multicores then the answer is it is very good at this. But as ozar said, you have to give it some work to do to keep it busy. I bought quad-core because I do AVC encoding and compiling. For web browsing and such a single core will do.

Just Joined!
    I really do everything in Linux these days. I do music production and play games - Windows games in Wine. My 3d card is only average, but the games perform quite well all the same. I always build a new PC to be above the current needs though so that it lasts a few years.