Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Has any folk used following WD HD before? WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives 1 TB, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache WD Caviar Green 1 TB SATA ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Comment on WD HDD

Hi folks,

Has any folk used following WD HD before?

WD Caviar Green
    SATA Hard Drives
    1 TB, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache
    WD Caviar Green 1 TB SATA Hard Drives ( WD10EARS )

What will be your comment. I never used WD HD before only Seagate HD. I like this WD HD because it has 64MB cache. Its price is more or less the same as Seagate and other brand HDs of same storage capacity.

TIA

B.R.
    satimis

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I mostly have Seagate Barracuda Sata-1 and Sata-2 drives, but my system boot disc is a WD Sata-1 drive. It has been running continuously for over 2 1/2 years without a hicup, though I do have a quick replacement spare, just in case...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    What will be your comment. I never used WD HD before only Seagate HD. I like this WD HD because it has 64MB cache. Its price is more or less the same as Seagate and other brand HDs of same storage capacity.
    All my mechanical hard drives over the last 10 years or so have been WDs, and all haved worked quite well except for the following:

- one drive started the click of death after just a couple of weeks
    - one drive went out due to a power surge during an electrical storm
    - one drive went out because it was about 7 years old
    - one drive got shorted out as I tinkered with it while connected and running

That's 4 that went bad out of about 40 or 50 drives, and a couple of those were my own fault, so I'd say the quality is certainly there with WD, and they do stand behind their products. When I contacted WD support about the drive experiencing the click of death issue, they replaced it with a new drive immediately, no questions asked.

Regarding your WD choice above, I've not used that particular model, but the only thing that jumps out at me as a negative would be the 5400 RPM speed. I only point that out because I always use 7200 RPM, or faster drives. The drive does have a pretty good rating among owners/reviewers at NewEgg.com, though.
    oz

Linux Guru
    Hi folks,

Thanks for your advice.

Agreed, 5400 rpm is slow. I'll consider WD Black series with 7200 rpm. However the price of WD Black Series HDD, 1T SATA 3 64MB 7200 rpm, is about 40% more expensive than the similar HD of other brands. Just looked at WD website. They say the mechanism is more stable and with less seek time. Any comment? TIA

B.R.
    satimis

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Hi folks,

Thanks for your advice.

Agreed, 5400 rpm is slow. I'll consider WD Black series with 7200 rpm. However the price of WD Black Series HDD, 1T SATA 3 64MB 7200 rpm, is about 40% more expensive than the similar HD of other brands. Just looked at WD website. They say the mechanism is more stable and with less seek time. Any comment? TIA

B.R.
    satimis
    The Blacks are fast and not too loud, and they've always worked well for me. In fact, I have more WD Black drives on hand than any other model. They can often be found online with sale prices just above but close to the price of the 5400 RPM WD drive that you were looking at earlier.
    oz

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    They can often be found online with sale prices just above but close to the price of the 5400 RPM WD drive that you were looking at earlier.
    Yes, that is true

The price of WD Caviar Black
    1 TB, SATA 3 Gb/s, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM
    Model: WD1001FALS

WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA Hard Drives ( WD1001FALS )

is the same as the green series mentioned on my original posting. However I'm interested on;

WD Caviar Black
    Desktop Hard Drives
    1 TB, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 7200 RPM
    Model: WD1002FAEX

WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA Hard Drives ( WD1002FAEX )

Its price is about 40% more than Model WD1001FALS above mentioned.

I think its price will drop soon. I can wait. My mobo only supports SATA 2. Neither i'm interested to get a SATA 3 interface card. I prefer upgrade the complete PC

B.R.
    satimis