Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a envision eft920 19"monitor http://www.envisiondisplay.com/produ...s&SMenu=eft920 and i want to adjust the refresh rate. right now i am running 1280x1024 @ 64hz (when i right click the desktop and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

setting monitor refresh rates with xf86 config

I have a envision eft920 19"monitor http://www.envisiondisplay.com/produ...s&SMenu=eft920 and i want to adjust the refresh rate. right now i am running 1280x1024 @ 64hz (when i right click the desktop and configure there). the 64hz is the only options it gives me and my manual says it needs to be 85hz. i have researched this and believe i need to change the xf86config file. right now it is set to,

Section "Monitor"
    DisplaySize 360 270
    HorizSync 31-70
    Identifier "Monitor[0]"
    ModelName "1280X1024@75HZ"
    Option "DPMS"
    VendorName "--> VESA"
    VertRefresh 50-75
    UseModes "Modes[0]"
    EndSection

(notice it says 75hz in there.)

looking in my manual, it says my h-frequency is 30 kHz - 98 kHz and my v-frequency is 50hZ-160hz

so do i need to change my HorizSync in my file to 30-98, and my vert refresh to 50-160???? are these the same values? i hear you can damage the monitor if you screw up here.

another strange thing with with my setup is the 1280x1024 is the perfect size for my operating system (suse 9.1 pro) but when i open firefox browser, everything is tiny, i changed it to 1024x768 and my fiefox was the perfect size, but my desktop stuff was huge.

i am a linux newbie learning my way around, i just dont want to destroy my new monitor. thanks for any help!

Linux Guru
    Yes, you're right. Those are exactly the changes you need to do. Unfortunately, some monitors do get misprobed like this.

However, the rumor that monitors could be damaged by entering the wrong values is a thing of the past. Modern monitors have built-in restrictions that prevent them from being damaged like that.

Linux Newbie
    hey thanks!! it worked like a charm! i was just to afraid i was going to roast my new monitor. my wife would have killed me lol

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close