Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have successfully gotten my USB hard drive mounted (/mnt/maxtor), but it is not accesible to the user I have tried chmod, which does not work (tells me it's not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB Hard Drive, CDROM, MP3

I have successfully gotten my USB hard drive mounted (/mnt/maxtor), but it is not accesible to the user
    I have tried chmod, which does not work (tells me it's not allowed)
    I can access it as root

I also have a usb CDROM (HP dc3000) which is recognized in /proc (cat /proc/scsi/scsi)
    It came up in the livecd (gentoo) install as /dev/sr1, but it is not there anymore, does anyone know how to find out where it has gone?

Also, is there a good MP3 (acutally, OGG Vorbis) player (5gb, at least) that works as a mass storage device with linux (I have heard about the iRiver ihp-120, but it is out of stock everywhere)

I also tried searching (This forum, and google) but it was no help

-palmer

Just Joined!
    Fixed:

CD-ROM drive mounts as /dev/sr0, not /dev/sr1 like the livecd

-palmer

Just Joined!
    Fixed:

Maxtor HDD

must be umounted to be accessible by user
    Anybody have any clue as to why this happens?

-palmer

Linux Guru
    As for the USB HDD, it depends. If root mounts it, it may be that the default umask is to disallow access from any others, depending on what filesystem is on it. If that's the case, if a user mounts it, it will apply the mounting user's UID to all files on it, which will make it accessible to that user.

If you want to have it permanently mounted, you can just fix the umask settings so that it allows you the kind of access you want. See the manpage for mount and fstab for more info.

If chmod isn't allowed, it's probably because the HDD is formatted with a filesystem that has no support for permissions, such as FAT. You could try formatting it with ext3 instead, if that's alright with the kind of thing you use it for.

Just Joined!
    i know i'm just a n00b but i feel i oughtta give back to the forum community. but to add to what dolda suggested, y not just log in the terminal again as root and just add the options to change ownership to user and enter a umask value of something like "077" which'd give full access to the owner and no access to others in the group and no access to everyone else? so you'd just add the syntax "-o uid=USERNAME,umask=077 and try that for starters ^_^. i think that should work unless the HDD is a FAT,FAT16 or 32.

Just Joined!
    I got one automount usb flash memory question. This is kind of a very antique question, but please take a look.

there are two ways for automounting usb flash memory, neither one works for me.

(1) /etc/fstab
    changed to
    /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usbflash vfat noauto,user,umask=000 0 0
    and run
    init q

(2) autofs
    auto.master
    /mnt/usbflash/ /etc/auto.usb --timeout=10
    auto.usb
    usbflash -fstype=vfat :/dev/sdb1

then insert usb flash memory, nothing happened.

Got any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by nvoke
    i know i'm just a n00b but i feel i oughtta give back to the forum community. but to add to what dolda suggested, y not just log in the terminal again as root and just add the options to change ownership to user and enter a umask value of something like "077" which'd give full access to the owner and no access to others in the group and no access to everyone else? so you'd just add the syntax "-o uid=USERNAME,umask=077 and try that for starters ^_^. i think that should work unless the HDD is a FAT,FAT16 or 32.

Can you mount your USB device manually as /dev/sdb1? My USB device mounts under /dev/sda1. Maybe try that?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here