Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Does anyone know of a USB video adapter that will work with a Linux based NAS?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Video for NAS

Does anyone know of a USB video adapter that will work with a Linux based NAS?
    Last edited by lewmur; 09-02-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: fix grammer

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    ?? huh ?? Why? In any case, it depends upon the NAS. Please explain what you are trying to do.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    ?? huh ?? Why? In any case, it depends upon the NAS. Please explain what you are trying to do.
    I'm trying to build a cheap computer+wireless router + NAS. The ASUS WL-520gU router sells for under $50. Add a USB HDD and you have a very inexpensive NAS. Add a USB hub, USB keyboard and mouse and a USB video and you have a very cheap desktop.

if you want a cheap desktop, just get a microatx board with a via chip and you won't need the extra like usb hub or usb video

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    if you want a cheap desktop, just get a microatx board with a via chip and you won't need the extra like usb hub or usb video
    No thanks. I don't want just a cheap desktop. I want a cheap desktop + 4 port router + wireless router + NAS + wireless print server.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ah! That's a bit more clear now. I though you might be trying something like that. Well, it depends upon the distribution they are running, and that depends upon the processor. Most Linux running routers and NAS units are running ARM or other embedded processors and their OS is usually somewhat dated, not to mention it is questionable if the kernels available for them will support the hardware you are interested in. You would have to get the kernel and tool chain they are using in order to see if you can reconfigure the kernel to support the device(s) you are interested. For example, I work with some ARM embedded boards that run Debian Etch and while the kernel was configured to support USB touchscreen devices, I would have to reconfigure and rebuild it to support USB keyboards and mice. It has support for a number of USB audio devices, but nothing for USB video. So, since Etch is not near the latest version of Debian, you might be able to get a newer kernel that does have USB video support, but you will have to configure and build/test it yourself. A fun project, but non-trivial for sure! As someone once said as their buddy bungy-jumped off the bridge, "Good luck! And I hope the cord isn't too long!"
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I don't intend to take on the project myself but I'll bet someone does. I looked on the Asus site to see what processor it uses but it isn't in the specs. Might be more in the service manual. I haven't looked at that yet.

Things to specify:
    Price range, speed, storage capacity.
    A desktop w/no OS can be cheap. A WLAN router w/4 ports covers networking. Big HDD covers NAS w/sharing enabled. Printer sharing on the LAN covers the print server.
    Check here: Desktops - No OS at Pricewatch - lowest prices, sales, price comparison
    The box would need to be on 24/7 to serve all functions you want.
    Come back for software settings advice.

Just Joined!
    The cheapest computer On your site was $140 and I'd still have to buy the router. But the real problem is that computer has a 250w power supply vs 3w for the Asus. And that doesn't even consider the "footprint." The major reason for using a NAS vs computer as a server, is power consumption.

Mini itx boards can be as cheap as $50 and have sata ports for disks and integrated vga out and a built in dc power using very little power prob $20 for memory

add a 2nd nic for $20 and now it is a router and add a 4 port switch for about $20 and now you have the routing

$40 for a case and now you have $150 nas with 2 sata and multiple USB ports

i suppose you have to figure out the cost of a usb video device and decide if you want more flexibility

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast