Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to mount a seagate portable hard drive. I can mount this device on my other machine except for this machine wherein every time I put the device, it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

mount portable hard drive

I'm trying to mount a seagate portable hard drive. I can mount this device on my other machine except for this machine wherein every time I put the device, it was not being recognize. The led of the portable device just keeps on blinking. When I do fdisk -l, I don't see the device. When I do dmesg, I found the ff:

Code:
    usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
    usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 2
    usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
    usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 3
    usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
    usb 1-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    usb 1-3: USB disconnect, address 4
    usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
    usb 1-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    usb 1-4: USB disconnect, address 5
    usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
    usb 1-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    I used to mount this hard drive before and it was doing fine except last month wherein I cannot mount it anymore. I don't want to reboot and use LiveCD just to backup my files because other people are also using this machine (its a samba server). I tried to use other usb slot but still the same. I'm using CentOS 5.3 minimal installation. i tried to modprobe -r uhci_hcd and modprobe -r ehci_hcd and command again modprobe ehci_hcd and modprobe uhci_hcd but still the same.

Would anyone give a suggestion?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've had similar problems with USB drives. Usually, I look at /dev/sd? before plugging in the device, and then look after I plug it in, in order to determine which device ID it is given. Then, I create a mount point, such as /mnt/usb, and then manually (as root, or sudo) mount the device there. That usually works for me. Generally, after I umount it, unplug it, and plug it back in again, it will be recognized by the OS. Don't know why. Just FM (Farking Magic) I suppose...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I've seen such a log before. Is this USB-2 port? Do you have USB-1 ports in this box? Did you have a kernel upgrade?