Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I have some errors on my drive and I fear it may be faulty. However there are a few things I would like to try before replacing it through ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Disk Errors

So I have some errors on my drive and I fear it may be faulty. However there are a few things I would like to try before replacing it through the manufacture or buying a new drive of my own seeing as this is a brand new computer.

Here is my computer and drive:
    Acer 5251-1513 Laptop
    Toshiba MK2565GSX
    Running Fedora 13...now

Here is what is going on. Tried several version of Ubuntu 10.4 (studio, 64bit, 32 bit) and was having many errors during startup and having to press F to fix. Then I lost something with Gnome and the GUI would not function, and I did not know how to replace it. Tried a few other distros but could not get them to work (mostly on my part I am sure.) Then after some forum talk, thought it might just be Ubuntu unable to handle my drive. Now on Fedora 13 and a warning comes up every time I startup.
    "Disk has many bad sectors"

In the disk utility under the SMART Data it has 2 of the following warnings:
    5- Reallocated Sector count..with a value of 72 sectors
    197 Current Pending Sector count...with a value of 35 sectors
    Total Bad Sectors 108.
    The next day that went up to 110

I would love to see if I can fix this. I have used Fsck several times through a live CD, but the problem persists. Trying to understand bad blocks and how to write them to a file? Maybe I am confused about how that works. I want to learn so any help or point in the right directions would help.

Thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    S.M.A.R.T. is generally reliable, so if it's a standard mechanical drive and not an SSD, I'd recommend backing up all data and replacing the drive, although it wouldn't be a bad idea to run any diagnostic software provided by your hard drive manufacturer just to double-check the SMART data output.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks again for your input. Another person gave me the same advice. I tried to load up the Factory Default recovery disks running W7 to see if I could find any tools. It did the full install and I could not get it to boot, just adding to the list of things indicating my drive needs to be replaced.

I also did a search for my drive and its not popular, but you can buy it on NewEgg. Too bad it has 2 bad reviews. Guess that is what I get for getting a cheap computer from Walmart. Oh well, it seems that the drive is the only issue since everything else runs great. When it was working I got the HDMI to display full 1080p in Ubuntu and W7, I burned DVD's, I can run live disks (like Knoppix right now.) USB works fine. And ATA drives seem fairly cheap and there is an easy access port so I can change it myself if I cant get the manufacture replacement.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Yes. When SMART reports drive errors, it is time to replace the drive. SMART is built into the on-disc controller and monitors the health of the drive. When sectors start to fail, it reports it to the OS if the OS supports the SMART interfaces, which Linux does. These are rarely (or never) false positives. As someone once said, don't walk, RUN to your computer store and get a new drive. I've had only one drive that SMART reported errors on. I ran extensive checks to verify that the drive was failing (it was), so I returned it to the manufacturer (Seagate) for replacement. They were happy to replace it under warranty, so my cost was some time to extract the data to another drive while the replacement was sent. FWIW, I lost one video, but nothing irreplaceable.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!