Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recompiled kernel 2.6.8 and have rivafb compiled. Code: title Debian GNU/Linux 2.6.8 root (hd0,0) kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8 ro root=/dev/hda2 video=rivafb:1280x1024-32:mtrr It seems like this works fine but there are a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

GeForce 2 MX 100/200 & rivafb

I recompiled kernel 2.6.8 and have rivafb compiled.

Code:
    title Debian GNU/Linux 2.6.8
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8 ro root=/dev/hda2 video=rivafb:1280x1024-32:mtrr
    It seems like this works fine but there are a few issues.

1. I keep getting this message to my consoles: "rivafb: Detected CRTC controller 0 being used."

2. I am using Nvidia's source to compile the nvidia driver as a module. Could this be bad?

3. Whenever I try to reboot from the console, the machine freezes. After trying to kill gdm, the machine just doesn't do anything. Which log files can I look at to resolve this problem?
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    The NVidia drivers package used to give an error and not install on the 2.6 kernel tree if it detected rivafb. With the latest Nvidia driver release and the latest 2.6.9 kernel release this error as been changed. Nvidia will install with rivafb, but Nvidia still recommends not compiling your kernel with rivafb as it 'can' (according to NVIDA) cause some problems and errors. Personal I would recompile the kernel and remove the rivafb since you are not using a riva video card.

Linux Enthusiast
    Unless you're actually loading the rivafb module, there's no problems. The driver doesn't "error out", it just gives a warning that the kernel was built with rivafb support, so potentially there's a problem if you were to load that module.
    enter "cat /proc/modules" to see what modules are currently loaded
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    I just noticed that in your boot params you are passing a rivafb argument to the kernel, which will load the rivafb module, perhaps removing that kernel arg will fix the problem as well.