Find the answer to your Linux question:
Attempted a yum upgrade from FC1 --> FC2. Everything seemed to go okay, I could choose the 2.6.x kernel in grub, my 3-button mouse was detected (which never worked in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to run system-config-display from fc2 boot?

Attempted a yum upgrade from FC1 --> FC2. Everything seemed to go okay, I could choose the 2.6.x kernel in grub, my 3-button mouse was detected (which never worked in FC1) but the screen went blank as x loads up.

Tried ctrl-alt-backspace, ctrl-alt-f1, etc. to get out of x, but no success. Ctrl-alt-delete worked for rebooting from the blank screen, tho.

I'm a bit of a newbie and don't know how to get to a shell before x tries to load, but it seems like running system-config-display and then rebooting might solve the problem. Any thoughts? Been googling for days, and to compound things my cdrom isn't working, so rescuedisk/reinstall is not an option.

Thanks, friends....

phalaris

Dell Dimension L500r PIII500 192MB RAM ADI microscan monitor 12gb hd1 (boot), 19gbhd2 (data)

Linux Guru
    To keep X from starting in RH/FC, enter "Edit mode" in the GRUB menu, and add a single "3" (w/o quotes) to the kernel command line. That will keep gdm from starting, and you'll be able to log in to a text terminal.

Just Joined!
    thanks. it worked, problem solved!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close