Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I hope you can help me .... I am setting up a tape drive back up, but I am having "fun" with bacula configuration .... Basically the drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bacula + back tape

Hi All, I hope you can help me ....

I am setting up a tape drive back up, but I am having "fun" with bacula configuration .... Basically the drive is working , I ran the test with the btape program and all was correct. I am basically meddled up with the jargon and the very large bacula documentation ....

The problem is :

I created some 2 volumes and gave the mounted the tapedrive (labeled) the name of one of them "tapevol2" .... now I can not relabel the tape, I deleted the volume "tapevol2" but still the tape drive is mounted with that name, even though the volume is deleted .... if I add ( create more volumes) I can not make the tape to mount with anything different that "tapevol2" ... I would like to go back to zero and delete all volumes, and mount the tape with one of the newly created volumes, so the jobs back up can ru n .... is that make sense ...?????

Helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks ....

Mahuro.

You need to delete the volume info in two places:
    1) database/catalog. That can be done with bconsole and the delete command.
    2) the header on the tape itself.

This can be done with the following commands.
    Caution to pick the right tape please!

Code:
    mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
    mt -f /dev/st0 weof
    .. which then means, you also have to label this tape.

Also, it pays off to read the documentation. Multiple times
    As this is a feature rich backup suite.
    Last edited by Irithori; 09-15-2010 at 11:40 AM.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Hi Irithory,

Many thanks. That worked well.

Unfortunately the Bacula documentation is not the clearest in town ! ..

I read the guide to manually relabel volumes , etc... pero is not clear, for example the simply say run mt, but the do not say what mt is, is it part of bacula ?? like btape, or a linux program ??

It took me a while to realise that mt needs to be installed into linux ... your explanation about "needing to remove the volume in two places: the catalog and the tape heaer is much clearer ...

Again Many thanks !!

PS: please don't mind me if I come back for more "Bacula tips" , I am new to tapedrives ....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close