Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Bah. I've given up. I'll simply stop using ATI products in my linux boxes. The only one I've got now is in my laptop....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bah. I've given up. I'll simply stop using ATI products in my linux boxes. The only one I've got now is in my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mord
    Bah. I've given up. I'll simply stop using ATI products in my linux boxes. The only one I've got now is in my laptop.
    Have fun replacing that card.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Here is the Tool you need to remove that notebook video card
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok, I signed up and I was number 20803. He hee, I still use 3DFX 3000 video cards.
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Imagine how angry I was, I bought an Ati Radeon 9200SE about a week or two before first installing Linux. Months later, I had still not gotten hardware acceleration to work under SuSE. Under Mepis, it 'works' but horribly slowly (the game gl-117 is unplayable, besides the Radeon, my specs are 512 ram and 2.8 ghz cpu...).

As someone mentioned, I am never buying an Ati product again. Unless, of course, they start seriously improving things. I almost went out and bought an Nvidia, but I didn't feel like spending the cash.

Oh, and I signed the petition a while ago
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    while i wish to support this petition, ive got a few issues with it first.

In the event that ATI cannot handle the programming of these drivers, we require all modern ATI chips to be open sourced to the Linux community so that drivers can be made. This would include all schematics and technical information pertaining to the video cards produced by ATI.
    ok... its obvious that the first problem ati has is a lack of coders. theyre a small company and are vying for first place in the graphics card market. so, its obvious that this petition will only cause them to either higher more coders or loose 20 thousand customers.

however, how is it at all realistic to expect them to open source their specs? no company in such heated competition as they are would do that if they had their wits about them.

so whats the point in "demanding" either results or open source? we're not gonna get the specs, and if ati cant afford to higher more coders, then they cant. it would rock my world if they started pumping out good linux drivers... but ive got a 9800 pro, and ive been playing doom3 for the past couple of weeks. i couldnt get them working on my own, but a friend came over and applied a patch to the latest release, and poof.

i realize not nearly as many people have had that kinda luck, but i cant see the reasoning in demanding they open source their specs if they cant pull of the other end of the deal.

Just Joined!
    ATI is an embarassment to Canada. I don't expect them to open their technology, but nVidia is leaving them in the dust.

yup they shure are as far as linux goes......but ati still makes a damn great gfx card.....though the new drivers are better than the last attempt at it..but im now on nvidia and will stay till they get complete drivers
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Quote Originally Posted by loft306
    yup they shure are as far as linux goes......but ati still makes a damn great gfx card.....though the new drivers are better than the last attempt at it..but im now on nvidia and will stay till they get complete drivers
    What good is having good hardware when the drivers suck and you can't use it? I remember thinking I was cool when I had a Radeon 9800 Pro (back when they kicked the Geforce FX's butt), but after the drivers for Linux froze my computer several times and the card itself blew up... well suffice to say ATI can bite me.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    20,000 linux costomers is worth more to ATI that 60,000 windows one. THe reason being that Linux users generally use their computers more than windows users. This is true because if you use your computer enough you will reallise that Microstoft is ripping you off. The people who use somputers more, have way more frequent hardware updates, & buy indervidual components so they can chose who they buy from. Therefore I predict that a Linux user will buy, on average, at least 3 times as many graphics cards as windows users. ATI therfore should give us these needed drivers to satisfy a huge potential market.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast