Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
I am a proud owner of a ATI 9600 PRO I installed the drivers on SUSE 9.3 and I havenít got problems at all with, but I know that Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I am a proud owner of a ATI 9600 PRO I installed the drivers on SUSE 9.3 and I havenít got problems at all with, but I know that Linux users are forgotten by many people and in my opinion the must important ones not :í(

ups i forgot where do i sign

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtzweil
    I am a proud owner of a ATI 9600 PRO I installed the drivers on SUSE 9.3 and I havenít got problems at all with, but I know that Linux users are forgotten by many people and in my opinion the must important ones not :í(

ups i forgot :) where do i sign
    You might want to run glxgears and reconsider that, I was getting a steady 2600 fps on a 4 year old 64MB nvidia GeForce 3, ati owners of newer or newish cards have said that they get merely 700 fps, you won't notice the problems with it if you don't use the computer for anything that requires 3d. In my case I use the nv driver that comes with X.org, I get 2048x1536 rosolution at 60Hz, it doesn't support 3d yet does 2d perfectly, and if that were on the spotlight yet I never gamed (although I used to), I'd also say there was no problems with it.

Go here to sign the petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/atipet/

runnin el cheapo ATI 9200 with 128M. I have to say I am very happy. I changed from the nVidia becouse I could not get it working with Mandrake nearly a year ago, put the ATI in and within minutes had it running. Upgarded to Mandriva 2006, and no go.
    Instead of getting upset with ATI (and nVidia in the past) ... I changed distro's instead .... aah the power of choice. Mepis runs the ATI out of the box ...glxgears at 1300 fps, and I cannot even get anything more than 700 on XP ... but when the 3d worked on linux, was always faster than the microsoft platform anyway.

Must admit, been close to tears, wanted to torture small furry mammals, and thought about how much the glass would cost to replace after the monitor goes through it ... heck ... nearly found religion once ..

I always keep to the later/older cards. I have found drivers easier to get installed and running. The AMD64 with an ATI card is a little trickier, Mepis did not like that, but well I am used to it now, maybe time to give this Suse a shot ...hmm

Anyway I have signed 23331

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic
    well im ati free and im playing wow on debain woot!

6600GT evga
    i dream to be in your shoes...

im stuck with a radeon 9600XT. or an nvidia tnt2.

the tnt2 runs faster than the radeon .

/weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Great idea. I've had problems with my Radeon X800 on both windows and linux.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

curious about my card

I'm curious. Ubuntu detected my card (ATI 7000 Radeon VE) and seems to work fine. I assume I don't have all the features provided when installed on a Windows system. I have seen references to being able to compile your own drivers. Do many people try this?

Quote Originally Posted by dapperone
    I'm curious. Ubuntu detected my card (ATI 7000 Radeon VE) and seems to work fine. I assume I don't have all the features provided when installed on a Windows system.
    You can get better performances by installation ATI proprietary drivers like that (if you are using Ubuntu as stated in your profile) :
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

The general complain is that ATI drivers don't deliver the same level performance in Linux than in Windows. NVIDIA drivers do perform better in Linux than ATI's ones, and are often easier to install. From my personal experience that is true.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

good to know

Good to know. Thanks.
    I read up about ATI cards. It says Radeon but not the 7000 series. I don't think I'll risk it. Why fix something that's not broken?

Has anyone heard any type of rumor about the ATI Radeon 200m in the laptops? That's what I have now and would love to get the driver working.

Drivers are a lot better from ATI these days. I recommend checking out the list of hardware supported on ATI.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast