Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, First, I would like to excuse myself for my poor english.... I'm currently looking for a device like a TomTom (maybe more powerful) on which I could exec a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looking for a Hackable touchable device.

Hello,

First, I would like to excuse myself for my poor english....

I'm currently looking for a device like a TomTom (maybe more powerful) on which I could exec a C++/Qt application.
    My budget for that is not very large so I'm better looking for a cheap device.

Does anyone known where to find one ?

Thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Any device you can find that runs Linux should have the software available, so it would be hackable. Other than that, you can get fairly inexpensive linux-running embedded system boards with ARM processors that are immimently hackable. With a small touch-screen interface and pc-104 system board, you are still looking at several hundred $ USD, though you might find something on eBay for less. Good luck.

FWIW, I purchased a pc-104 ARM development board from Technologic Systems PC/104 Single Board Computers and Peripherals that runs Debian, boots from SD card, and can run X-Windows, though the touch-screen hardware is quite a bit more than what I paid for the basic 64MB board. Boots kernel and command-line in under 2 seconds though - less than 5 for the entire Linux OS.

Here's a fully configured touch-screen system from them for under $500 USD: TS-TPC-7395 ARM Touch Panel Computer w/ 7-inch TFT-LCD and PoE
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!