Find the answer to your Linux question:
After the initial load of Debian Lenny, the first boot results in a blank screen and the display indicates "Frequency out of range please set to X x Y" As ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to set default screen size

After the initial load of Debian Lenny, the first boot results in a blank screen and the display indicates "Frequency out of range please set to X x Y" As I cannot start Linux, how do I accomplish this?

Well, at what stage you have the problem. When Linux loads or when X server loads?

Just Joined!
    I loaded Linux, and the last step told me that the machine would (re)boot to start...

Just Joined!
    I am running an AMD package, Debian 5 0 6 Linux distributian. The PC is home built the monitor is HP w1907. The display hardware is not a PCI card, but incorporated into the MB. It is a GIGABYTE S-Series MB. The problem seems to be that the default monitor size (setting) is something beyond the acceptable range of my hardware.

Boot up from LiveCD of any Linux distro and mount / partition of Debian. Open /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and set Refresh Rates supported by your Monitor.
    These are generic Refresh Rates supported by most of Monitors :
    Code:
    HorizSync 31.5 - 70.0
    VertRefresh 50-160
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Sounds good... HOWEVER, the problem is that I cannot get to that point. The screen is BLANK and the monitor displays a message that it cannot accept the signal.

Doesn't machine boot up from any LiveCD? Have you tried Single User Mode?

Just Joined!
    I am feeling a bit dumb here... What is a "LiveCD"?
    I am (currently) a Win XP person/user. I replaced my hard drive to load the downloaded DVDs of Debian (Lenny) AMD version 506. I guess what you suggest is that I boot from that drive, but with some other CD in place, to set the monitor properties, then boot from the Debian hard drive without turning off the machine??
    Will this be necesary each time I boot my machine in the future?

You can run whole OS from CD ( LiveCD) instead of Hard disk installation. With LiveCD you can mount partitions of Hard disk and manipulate data. I would suggest you to check details here. Most of distros are available as LiveCDs having an option of Hard disk installation. Debian doesn't have any LiveCD though.

Try pressing any key at startup and check if any type of Menu appear at startup. Does that menu have any option like Single User or Recovery?

EDIT: Debian has LiveCD too. I am not sure if it has installation option.
    Last edited by devils casper; 10-04-2010 at 02:04 AM.