Find the answer to your Linux question:
G'day everyone, I'm new to the RISC scene, recently playing around with a Marvell Sheevaplug which was way too powerful for the projects I was playing with: Email server/webserver bluetooth ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Selection of RISC architecture

G'day everyone,

I'm new to the RISC scene, recently playing around with a Marvell Sheevaplug which was way too powerful for the projects I was playing with:
    Email server/webserver
    bluetooth pager/mobile phone advertising
    (Next I'm just going to add a USB VGA card to it and use it as a carputer)

What it did do however was get me hooked on more efficient ways of providing services on a network using headless embedded devices.

I've been looking for a new board for my next project, a firewall/proxy/web/email server. But there is so many selections on the market when it comes to RISC architecture...ARM, PPC, MIPS appear to be the most commonly available.

Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to choosing architecture? Is there a comparison chart for architecture and clock rates to "computing power"?

Cheers,

Griffo

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Price, performance, capabilities. Decide what you need in those regards, and then choose a board that meets the requirements. I have found 64MB ARM9 boards that boot from SD cards which have A/D I/O, multiple USB ports, ethernet, and multiple RS-232 ports in a PC-104 form factor that cost about $100 USD in quantity. They run Debian Linux w/ 2.6 kernels and boot in about 1.2 seconds from SD card. You can also get models with embedded flash if you don't want to boot from external media like that. ARM seems to be a popular architecture these days - Android cell phones run on that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Price, performance, capabilities.
    The performance part is what I'm trying to figure out, is there some kind of architecture comparison chart for "computing power"?
    eg, PowerPC vs ARM vs MIPS

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I have found 64MB ARM9 boards that boot from SD cards which have A/D I/O, multiple USB ports, ethernet, and multiple RS-232 ports in a PC-104 form factor that cost about $100 USD in quantity. They run Debian Linux w/ 2.6 kernels and boot in about 1.2 seconds from SD card.
    1.2 seconds, that is impressive! I imagine they wouldn't be utilizing udev?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by r31griffo View Post
    1.2 seconds, that is impressive! I imagine they wouldn't be utilizing udev?
    Not sure. I'll be digging into the kernel configuration this week so I'll find out for you. It's pretty vanilla Debian Etch with kernel 2.6.21. Not latest, but not antique either.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!