Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Pressing Ctrl + Alt + Backspace should allso get you out of xwindows....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Pressing Ctrl + Alt + Backspace should allso get you out of xwindows.

Quote Originally Posted by sheds
    You'd be wasting a bit of money since 64 bit technology is not being used or isn't the standard yet.
    Not true. Yes, most applications don't take full advantage of the 64-bit registers, but several Linux distributions are native 64-bit, and even 32-bit applications run better with the AMD64 due to the larger cache size. Benefits to the gamer include faster load times (a must for Doom 3), overall better 3D responsiveness, and an integrated memory controller that makes the Front Side Bus no longer an issue. Memory performance is much faster regardless of the speed of your RAM.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    ctrl+alt+F1 or F2...' That will take you out of X. techieMoe is right! AMD64 is a big leap over AMD XP. I have both a XP box and a 64 box. My 64 runs so much faster.

Linux Newbie
    Also just to add, you don't actually need to edit the inittab. If you just want to shutdown X fully you could just type the command "init 3" rather then resetting the whole system, and then one you're done just do an init 5 to get everything started back up.

Type it on a shell? You've explained to me that X has to do with the GUI, this means that the Gui will be shutdown and i'm gonna have to do everything with a shell. Am i right? Im just asking cause for the first time in my linux experience i am completely walking in the dark.

Linux Newbie
    Yes, you'll have to type that and then do everything in a shell. ALthouhg so long as you don't edit the inittab file if you get really lost you can just reset and you'll be back in your gui.

I'm gonna try it right away, i hope i don't mess up my computer. So far it has run smoothly. I'll keep you posted about this.

Ok then, i completely messed up my computer, now i get all kinds of error windows when loggin in and when shutting down my system. The price of learning. I followed all steps on the readme file of the nvidia site, but some didn't apply to my files. Some parts didn't existe, others where exactly there like the readme file explained. I ended up writing to their support email to see if they can help, i just hope they don't get all pissed off. Well, they shouldn't, i am a customer to them, using their products. How can i uninstall this driver? Please help!! My OS crashes every 5 secs..

I believe I read somewhere in the Nvidia how-to document that to uninstall the driver, log in as root and execute the driver installer, but add the option uninstall to it, like this:

Code:
    sh NVidiaInstaller.sh -uninstall
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I fixed the damn problem, it was the most stupid thing. The file i had to modify was not XF86Config, i was supposed to edit this other one called XF86Config-4, something about my X server version or something like that. Thanks a lot anyway, now i get a nice NVidia logo when the GUI's loading up. Thanks everyone so much!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2