Find the answer to your Linux question:
My printer is an HP Deskjet F4180, using it on PCLinuxOS. Everything would be perfect, except that the alignment is off when printing(letter size). There's too much blank space above, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Printer alignment error

My printer is an HP Deskjet F4180, using it on PCLinuxOS.

Everything would be perfect, except that the alignment is off when printing(letter size). There's too much blank space above, and too little blank space below.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What application are you having this problem with? Also, what Linux distribution+version are you running, and are you running the CUPS print server? If CUPS, where did you get the printer driver?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    It's happened when I print in OpenOffice, Abiword, and when I print PDF files.

I'm using PCLinuxOS 2010 or whatever the latest version is.

Yes I'm running CUPS. I got everything from synaptic package manager.

Just Joined!
    Anyone? help?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you checked for HP-specific Linux drivers from HP? Anyway, in the printer configuration tool on my CentOS (KDE) system I can select the "Instances" tab, open the "Settings" page, and create custom margins for that printer's output. I assume you can do something similar on PCLinuxOS as well. Anyway, I think you can manually adjust the default margins for the printer by editing the file /etc/cups/ppd/PrinterName.ppd where "PrinterName" is the name of the printer you are using. However, you should probably read the man pages for, and use, the cups tools to do this: cups-genppd, cups-genppdconfig, cups-genppdupdate, cupstestppd, etc.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!