Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two drives - a 160Gb with Zentyal and a 1Tb with Ubuntu and XP. The 1Tb has some data on it that I want to keep. Other than ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Two bootable drives - need to make one nonbootable

I have two drives - a 160Gb with Zentyal and a 1Tb with Ubuntu and XP. The 1Tb has some data on it that I want to keep. Other than the data I would be happy wiping everything else out and using the drive as a data drive for the Zentyal server.

Everything I plug both drives in the machine gets confused and boots from the 1Tb Ubuntu server and reports that there are problems with the 160Gb drive. How would I make that 1T drive non-bootable so I can boot with my 160Gb drive and finish cleaning the big drive and prepping it for being a data drive for the server?

Quote Originally Posted by flycast View Post
    I have two drives - a 160Gb with Zentyal and a 1Tb with Ubuntu and XP. The 1Tb has some data on it that I want to keep. Other than the data I would be happy wiping everything else out and using the drive as a data drive for the Zentyal server.

Everything I plug both drives in the machine gets confused and boots from the 1Tb Ubuntu server and reports that there are problems with the 160Gb drive. How would I make that 1T drive non-bootable so I can boot with my 160Gb drive and finish cleaning the big drive and prepping it for being a data drive for the server?
    gparted will let you manage the flags on the drive.

Have you set 160GB Drive as first boot device in BIOS? Have you installed any OS in 160GB disk? Post the output of sudo fdisk -l command here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    The 1Tb drive does not show up in gparted either.
    I have a linux OS installed on the 160Gb drive.

I finally moved the 1T drive to another socket on the board and was able to repartition it. Thanks for your help.