Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to connect a Brother HL-2230 printer over CUPS on an Ubuntu Lucid box. However, when I attempt to add the printer using the web interface (localhost:631/admin) the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] CUPS printer missing from list

I am trying to connect a Brother HL-2230 printer over CUPS on an Ubuntu Lucid box. However, when I attempt to add the printer using the web interface (localhost:631/admin) the printer is missing from the page that asks me to choose the driver; however, many other Brother and HL-series printers are listed. My question is, how can I get my printer to appear on the driver list (and yes, I installed the manufacturer's CUPS and LPR drivers)?

oz
    forum.guy
    You'll probably need to restart CUPS or reboot so that CUPS can restart if you haven't done so already. If the proper driver is installed along with any other necessary files, your printer should show up after the CUPS restart.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Actually, I rebooted twice, and the printer driver is still missing (though, strangely, it still recognizes the printer itself as being connected)
    However, I know that I installed the relevant drivers. Checking the installed package lists yields
    Code:
     $ dpkg -l | grep Brother
    ii  cupswrapperhl2230            2.0.4-2               Brother HL2230 CUPS wrapper driver
    ii  hl2230lpr                           2.1.0-1               Brother HL-2230 LPR driver
    Last edited by luolimao; 11-17-2010 at 01:37 AM. Reason: separating command code from output

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Sorry, I've always used PPD files with all my Brother printers and have never used cupswrapper, so I'm not sure how to direct you on that. Is there no PPD file available for your Brother printer, either on the CD that came with the printer, or on their website?
    oz

Just Joined!
    Unfortunately, no, there aren't any .ppd files on the disc or online (at least that I could find).

How did you install cupswrapper and the driver? Did you go through the instructions at the Brother site?

Brother Solutions Center : Brother Driver for Linux Distributions

Brother Solutions Center : Brother Driver for Linux Distributions

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the link; I managed to find a script on their site that helped me install and configure the drivers automagically in their troubleshooting section.
    (welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/faq_prn.html#f00090)

Once again, thanks so much!