Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone tell me what model of Dell Latitude D-series laptop will work with Ubuntu 10.04? I'd like to buy one from eBay, and I want to make sure it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Dell Latitude D-series laptop compatability with Ununtu

Can anyone tell me what model of Dell Latitude D-series laptop will work with Ubuntu 10.04? I'd like to buy one from eBay, and I want to make sure it's compatible first. Thank you much. Jim
    Last edited by jimtyler; 11-24-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Accidentally hit the "post" button before I was finished

Quote Originally Posted by jimtyler View Post
    Can anyone tell me what model of Dell Latitude D-series laptop will work with Ubuntu 10.04? I'd like to buy one from eBay, and I want to make sure it's compatible first. Thank you much. Jim
    I have an interest in this, too, since a friend entrusted me with a Dell Latitude D600 to see how best to get it running. Specs below:

CPU/FSB
    * Processor Intel Pentium M 1.6 GHz
    * Data Bus Speed 400.0 MHz
    * Chipset Type Intel 855PM
    RAM
    # Installed Size 128.0 MB / 2.0 GB (max)
    # Technology DDR SDRAM - 266.0 MHz
    # Memory Specification Compliance DDR266/PC2100
    # Form Factor SO DIMM 200-pin

If I wanted to put ubuntu on it, first thing I would do is put at least 768 MB but preferably one gig RAM in it. (On the other hand, I know 512MB will suffice for antiX_M8.5_i686) Then I would look at a remix of ubuntu such as available through this site on sourceforge. I would seriously consider Mint, but would probably go with antiX. (On the other hand, the lubuntu remix would probably work. too.)

Best wishes!
    Last edited by zenwalker; 11-25-2010 at 02:36 AM.

My wife has a D505 which works fine with Ubuntu 10.10.
    Registered Linux user #526930

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I have a D630 and have run 9.04 since it came out, 8.04 before that, and am testing 10.10 Studio edition right now. I had to install the WiFi firmware to get the wireless going, but the bluetooth worked out-of-the-box. Everything else seems fine, so far. Got sound, video, and am building a new kernel as we speak.

FWIW, the WiFi firmware update/install was right there in the Additional Drivers section of the administration menu - top of the list actually. So, it wasn't rocket science to get it going.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!