Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm considering a Dell Inspirone One 2205 or 2310 (all-in-one) for daily business use (openoffice, eclipse, ...). Based on the specs, would you think this will be compatible with Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compatibility of Dell Inspiron One

I'm considering a Dell Inspirone One 2205 or 2310 (all-in-one) for daily business use (openoffice, eclipse, ...).

Based on the specs, would you think this will be compatible with Linux (OpenSuse)?

Would you recommend the faster 2310 or not?

Tx

Ivan

I could not nail down the specs on your chosen Inspirion but, from what I saw, I myself woud go with a Core2Duo CPU of at least 2.5GHz and at least 2GB RAM. This is a personal preference only (I go by the "buy the best you can at the time" philosophy).

Certainly openSUSE is a reasonable one to choose for business. I just saw, tried and was impressed with Business OS from sourceforge. It is based on the new LTS of ubuntu, so should be easy to work with, have lots of choices for software in repositories available, and have good support. (And I really dislike SUSE's pkg mgt!) You may wish to check it out.

There are some really impressive remixes there, at sourceforge, one does not necessarily hear about in even forums as good as this one!

Best wishes and
    Welcome!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Many current Linux distributions should work well with this hardware. However, DO run a live CD/DVD to be sure all the hardware is supported before you install the OS. This is especially true for wireless (WiFi and Bluetooth) as well as video cameras (webcam). I've generally had good luck with Ubuntu, and I haven't used Suse since version 10 a few years ago - and that was on a Dell workstation, not a laptop. My current D630 laptop is running both Ubuntu 9.04 and 10.10 without problems. With 9.04, the wireless was supported out-of-the-box. With 10.10, I had to install the proprietary firmware for the Broadcom chipset they use. Once that was done, things have been fine with 10.10, although I have to admit I haven't yet tried my external USB webcam...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!