Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I'd have to agree with roky that it's best to actually try things yourself because users are constantly defying the system recommendations for various distros and they often end up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

I'd have to agree with roky that it's best to actually try things yourself because users are constantly defying the system recommendations for various distros and they often end up having a satisfactory experience. The only way to know for sure is to load it up and see what happens.
    oz

Dsl?

I havn't used DSL in ages but it can easily be ran on somethinglike that and should run alright if i'm not mistaken??

The main problem with DSL is that the project is dead. No updates or releases for years. There are current and maintained light weight distros available, including things like TinyCore which is developed by one of the main DSL developers.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for everyone's input. I tried Lubuntu Maverick, but had some problems with Twinkle (VOI) crashing. That might be because after I got Twinkle's package installed, but before I got it configured, I switched the hard drive that it was on to a different but similar machine. Do you think that could cause a problem? I also had problems with the default (Cromium?) web browser locking up. Twinkle might have caused that, too.

I'm now trying Puppy, and will soon try AnitX. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming both of those can be installed on the hard drive where I don't have to boot from a CD. I'm having some problems getting the Puppy GRUB booter installed in the same partition on the hard drive with the rest of Puppy, but that's a different subject. I'll work on that a little more, and create another post if I can't get it working.

Just for anyone's information, my experience with Ubuntu 10.04 has been that it works well on my 650 MHz Dell Latitude CPx with as low as 384 MB of memory. It starts having problems, though, when the memory is reduced to 256 MB.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming both of those can be installed on the hard drive where I don't have to boot from a CD. I'm having some problems getting the Puppy GRUB booter installed in the same partition on the hard drive with the rest of Puppy, but that's a different subject. I'll work on that a little more, and create another post if I can't get it working.
    I dual boot AntiX and Puppy Dingo 4 on a old IBM A22m Laptop, Pentium 3, 256MB of ram, 20 gig Hardrive with external Pcmcia Wireless G card, My setup is 5 gig ext3 for AntiX root "/". 10 gig ext3 AntiX /home. 4gig Ext3 puppy dingo. 700 MB /swap. I Installed AntiX first and installed grub to MBR on hardrive.
    Pointed /home at second /home partition. With Puppy I used frugal install and copied boot menu entry from /tmp/NEWGRUBTEXT to /boot/grub/menu.lst in AntiX. This can be done after finishing frugal puppy install by mounting / of AntiX and copying entry into /boot/grub/menu.lst running Puppy as a live session still before you shut down.

Some Links to help you out. My AntiX tutorial is one of them. (Can't remember if I posted these earlier)

How to do a Frugal Puppy Linux 4.3.1 Install to a new Hard disk MyLinuxRamblings

Yet Another Technology Site: AntiX 8.5 Full install on Asus EEEPC 900

My tutorial is for a different computer and type of install. Maybe the screenshots will help you know what to expect.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie

Home partition for AntiX

Hello Rockytnji, Iíve got both Puppy and AntiX booting form the hard drive now, but Ií donít understand how to create that home partition in AntiX. I tried, but Gparted will only create 4 primary partitions max. Could you enlighten me a bit on how to do that? Thanks again. Jim

You can only have 4 primary partitions on a hard drive. To skirt that limitation, you have to create extended partitions.

Linux Partition HOWTO

Gparted Partitioning Guide

Yeah. What reed9 says. I only have 4 primaries on that Laptop (IBM A22m). On my IBM T23 multiboot. I have 2 primary partitions and the rest are Extended/Logical partitions because it has a 100 gig hardrive. One Primary for Windows 2000 pro. Another for /swap. From there AntiX 8.5 / sits on Logical Extended partition as well as /home plus Macpup and a few other Puplets on their own logical extended partitions.

Edit: I should mention I used Gparted to carve up everything (I had a plan) before installing everything to the T23.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2