Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, Can anyone tell me what would be a good distro for a lowly Dell Latitude CPi with a 400 MHz processor and 125 MB of memory? Somebody told me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

What's a good distro for old slow machines?

Hi, Can anyone tell me what would be a good distro for a lowly Dell Latitude CPi with a 400 MHz processor and 125 MB of memory? Somebody told me Zenwalk is good for the old slow ones. Does that make sense? Thank you much. Jim

Anything running a lightweight window manager should work, so look for fluxbox, openbox, lxde, jwm, pekwm, or the like.

Puppy Linux, Linux Mint Fluxbox or LXDE, Antix.

The lighter Zenwalk as I recall uses XFCE, which may also work ok. I would not use the GNOME version though.

I'm a AntiX supporter. My IBM 390E ran it before I sold it (it ran wireless)

Another one you may wish to look at is Slitaz. (cooking version)

Hmmm. Found something old, but something new. ConnochaetOS
    Last edited by rokytnji; 12-01-2010 at 03:31 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie

Will they work with Ekiga and Gimp?

Thank you both for the suggestions. I'm mainly interested in using a voice over Internet program like Ekiga an a photo editor that will re-size photos, like Gimp. Are any or all of these distros capable of installing these programs? Thanks again.

GIMP on that kind of memory is probably not going to work out. It's huge and resource intensive. If all you're looking to do is resize photos, it's also probably overkill.

You can do a lot of image management from the command line, including resizing, with imagemagick.

As reed9 says. You are asking alot for just
    125 MB of memory
    Ekiga,Skype,MTpaint,Fotoxx are available to install or are installed on all above Distros mentioned by reed9 and I.

That being said. You will need to make like a 700MB swap partition before running installer of Distro using Gparted while running live cd. If you looked through the links I provided. You would see that one distro is based on Arch Linux. The other on Debian Testing. The smallest distro has those as tazpkg as well.

That does not mean that you will have the horse power to run those applications though (swap partition will help but they will run slow)
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie

Bigger is better

Thanks again to you both. I've got another machine that's a 750 MHz Pentium 3 with 348 MB of ram. Maybe that would be better for what I want to do. Would you recommend the same distros for that one?

Quote Originally Posted by jimtyler View Post
    Thanks again to you both. I've got another machine that's a 750 MHz Pentium 3 with 348 MB of ram. Maybe that would be better for what I want to do. Would you recommend the same distros for that one?

Sure Can. 700 tp 800 MB swap still recommended though.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie

Lubuntu

Sounds good. What would you think of Lubuntu Maverick 10.10 for the 128 and the 384 MB machines? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jimtyler View Post
    Sounds good. What would you think of Lubuntu Maverick 10.10 for the 128 and the 384 MB machines? Thanks again.
    What do I think? Well. If me (I like to tinker). I'd download the Iso. Check Md5sum of downloaded iso (Ubuntu has communty documentation o how to do this in windows) Burn a CD (slow speed). See if it boots. Run live for a while. Make a 1 gig swap Partition and format the rest as Ext3 / flagged as boot using Gparted. Then see if installer runs without crashing. If it does not work. Give the CD to someone interested in Lubuntu.

Just my opinion though. I will be surprised if it works for you. On the 128mb machine.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast