Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all i use suse linux 9.1 pro and soon i want to upgrade to 9.2 and i am thinking to buy a wireless card for my local network so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Best wireless card for linux

Hi all i use suse linux 9.1 pro and soon i want to upgrade to 9.2 and i am thinking to buy a wireless card for my local network so i want to know which is the best compatible to use
    Q: what\'s tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?
    A: a canary with the super-user password.

This might help you http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/ i used the search terms: wireless cards linux in Google

Linux Guru
    I personally have the Netgear wg511. Works like a fscking champ out of the box.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

wg511 - beware two versions

There are (at least) two versions of this card. The "Made in Taiwan" (MK2) and "Made in China" (MK3) have the same vendor/product IDs.

The MK2 (Taiwan) will work out of the box with recent distros using the prism54 driver (from prism54.org) (You may need to install the firmware file from the manufacturer's disc or find it via the prism54.org website).

The MK3 will look like it almost works but refuse to upload the firmware, causing much pain and head-scratching.

I got mine working using the ndiswrapper (see sourceforge) which installed and ran fine using a 2.6 series kernel on Fedora Core2.

Notes:

The Fedora kernels have a config option removed - CONFIG_4K_STACKS. Some (lots) of the windows NDIS drivers (as loaded by the ndiswrapper) need bigger stacks, 4K is the default with 2.6 kernels and mandatory without a patch (or "vanilla" kernel) under Fedora. The ndiswrapper issues a warning, but this particular card (Chinese WG511) has an XP driver which appears to work fine with 4K stacks.

Linexant's driverloader should, I guess, also work with this card, but it costs money so I haven't tried it... They (linexant) also supply (free) pre-compiled patched 2.6 kernels with 16k stacks, should you need one.

HTH.