Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm very new to linux and would like to build a 64-bit file server to backup my pc and laptop, I would also like it to have HTPC ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

64-bit file server with HTPC capabilities

Hi all,

I'm very new to linux and would like to build a 64-bit file server to backup my pc and laptop, I would also like it to have HTPC capabilities because it will be stored in my "man cave", where me and mates seem to hang out a fair bit.

I've never built an AMD system before and would like this build to be AMD.

This is what I've come up with so far:

64-bit system:

Case: Thermaltake V3 with 450W PSU
    CPU: Athlon II x2 255 3.1GHz
    Mobo: ASRock 880GXH-USB3
    HDD: WD Green 500Gb for OS, 2x Samsung EcoGreen 2Tb for storage (one will be kept off site)
    Memory: 1x Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 4Gb DDR3
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B123A (Blu-ray player/DVD burner)
    Wifi: TP-Link TL-WN851N
    Tuner: Leadtek Winfast PxDVR 3200H PCIe
    Graphics: On board
    Sound: On board

I'm not sure about all this being compatible with linux, like the tuner, but I have read that you can get this working.

I'm on a pretty tight budget so I can't upgrade to higher end components, but would like suggestions on components where I could save a few $$ or if any of these components are overkill.

Thanks for looking,
    Cheers.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I think this is a reasonable setup. I don't know if the memory will only work with 1 stick, and as far as the tv tuner is concerned, there are plenty of sites you can google that will tell you what the deal is with this device and Linux. It supports a number of tuners. Also, check into the WiFi card you have selected. Whether it and the tuner are compatible with your system depend entirely upon the Linux distribution+version that you select. Mostly it depends upon the kernel and kernel configuration.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!