Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All, I have a fairly new Toshiba netbook - came with Windows7 starter, Atom CPU, and plenty of hard disk space. It doesnt set the world on fire but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Toshiba Netbook and Linux dual boot

Hello All,
    I have a fairly new Toshiba netbook - came with Windows7 starter, Atom CPU, and plenty of hard disk space.
    It doesnt set the world on fire but it is perfectly adequate for me for general computing when travelling.
    I want to dual boot a Linux distro on it.
    Can anyone give advice please on whether the netbook could handle it, what would be a straightforward distro to install etc etc. ?
    I have a fair bit of experience with Ubuntu desktops so the Ubuntu netbook version could be the way to go.
    Have posted a similar question on the Ubuntu Forum but thought I would ask others who may have a non Ubuntu point of view.
    Thanks.

If it runs Windows 7, it's more than powerful enough to run any linux version of your choice.

If you are comfy using Ubuntu, by all means, use Ubuntu. If you want to experiment more and see what's out there, do so. There's no perfect OS or perfect distro. Use whatever works for you.

Just Joined!

Lightbulb

I have a suggestion for you :

Install Ubuntu or whatever distro on an usb flash disk, boot your notebook with it.

You´ll have an idea if all the hardware is supported.

You can install any linux distro (using it´s .iso image) with this soft :

"unetbootin" from sourceforge.net

Hope that will help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOdy View Post
    Hello All,
    I have a fairly new Toshiba netbook - came with Windows7 starter, Atom CPU, and plenty of hard disk space.
    It doesnt set the world on fire but it is perfectly adequate for me for general computing when travelling.
    I want to dual boot a Linux distro on it.
    Can anyone give advice please on whether the netbook could handle it, what would be a straightforward distro to install etc etc. ?
    I have a fair bit of experience with Ubuntu desktops so the Ubuntu netbook version could be the way to go.
    Have posted a similar question on the Ubuntu Forum but thought I would ask others who may have a non Ubuntu point of view.
    Thanks.
    Your netbook can certainly handle it. I have a Dell Inspiron Mini with the same processor and default OS, and I run Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.10 just fine. Here's my thoughts on it:

TechieMoe.com - Moe's Blog - Ubuntu Netbook Remix10.10

I installed it using a spare USB stick I had lying around. There are instructions here on how to do that:

Download | Ubuntu

Optionally, if you have an external CDROM drive somewhere you can plug in it will install the same as any other version of Linux.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants