Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dudes, I have an Motorolla SM56 internal modem though the vendor is prolink(the vendor calls it v.90/v.92 PCI Fax Modem). Now it is quite obvious that I have installed it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help to install internal modem

Dudes,

I have an Motorolla SM56 internal modem though the vendor is prolink(the vendor calls it v.90/v.92 PCI Fax Modem). Now it is quite obvious that I have installed it in PCI slot (u know for newer motherboards there is no ISA slot to plug in). Now it works ok in windows. As I dont know which port to select so I tried every combination provided by Mandrake 8. But the modem is not detected. Every time I try to connect to the internet, it shows modem not responding. I had a external prolink modem (v.90) which I could configure and use quite easily. Now I read in some article that internal modems cant work in linux. But today some guy told me that if I download the source code of previous versions and compile it then it will work. Now the whole thing seems very complicated. If someone can tell me every bit detail about the configuration starting from selection of port to compilation procedure that would be so much nice of you.

Thank you

what you have is called, in Windows, a winmodem. So called because some of the processing is actually done by software running in Windows.

What you need to do is set it up to be a linmodem when in Linux.

Now, there is a rather old tutorial in the tutorial section of this forum about such things, or you can goto www.linmodems.org to find out about such things.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS