Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! This is my first post in this forum. I want to buy a webcam Philips SPC1330NC and it claims to be capable of displaying color image 90 fps when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Can Philips 1330NC webcam display image at full 90fps?

Hi! This is my first post in this forum.

I want to buy a webcam Philips SPC1330NC and it claims to be capable of displaying color image 90 fps when the resolution is 640x480. And the webcam is usb 2.0 compliant.

(Correct me if i am wrong) isn't usb 2.0 devices capable of transferring data at a rate of max. 480Mbps?

[Edit:Added]
    90 fps = 90 frames * (640 * 480) pixels * 3 bytes/pixel = 82944000 bytes = 79.10MB whereas 480Mbps = 60MB
    [/Edit]

Am i doin' it right? I am a bit confused . So will i get full 90fps with this webcam using usb 2.0 compliant usb adapter?

Will i get full 90 fps if i connect the webcam to a usb 3.0 compliant (pci express x1) usb adapter (though the webcam is usb2.0 compliant)?
    Last edited by dlvga9x; 01-15-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Didnīt look at the specs of that camera, but it is safe to assume, that the datastream is compressed (lossless or not) before it is sent through usb.

And no, connecting a usb2.0 device to a usb3.0 port will not result in higher throughput.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    Didnīt look at the specs of that camera, but it is safe to assume, that the datastream is compressed (lossless or not) before it is sent through usb.

And no, connecting a usb2.0 device to a usb3.0 port will not result in higher throughput.
    Thanks for your reply.

Is it safe to assume that any image processing library like opencv will be able to uncompress it automatically when i grab the frames? I know it might be off topic but couldn't help it. Sorry.