Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
It's not a .deb file. It's actually a script, with the final extension being .sh. Try opening a terminal, changing to the directory where the file is, or navigate there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

It's not a .deb file. It's actually a script, with the final extension being .sh.

Try opening a terminal, changing to the directory where the file is, or navigate there in Nautilus, then right-click and select "Open terminal here". In the terminal, run
    Code:
    sudo sh ./name_of_file.sh
    replacing name_of_file with the actual name of the script. You can type just the first few letters of the filename and then press the Tab key to autocomplete the filename. The './' means 'use the file in the current directory', and is necessary for any file not in the path variable. It shouldn't be necessary to do this, but it may get you printing while you research the actual problem. If it still won't work, run the same thing without using sudo. That should install the driver in your home, so it won't be available for all users, but if you're the only user it shouldn't be a problem. You do need to eventually figure out the problem with superuser privileges, but probably printing is the higher priority for now.

Just Joined!
    Ha! You're right. I was looking at the file name, saw the .deb extension and stopped looking after that. It does indeed end in .sh

Just Joined!
    I'm not sure if I understand but I double clicked on the file and selected the run in terminal option and there are alot of gtk warnings. (GTK:22099) loading IM context type ' ibus ' failed. Yes I see what your saying about it ending with .sh. I just don't quite understand the terminal box. I mean I understand the terminal but don't the changeing of directories.

Edit: Sorry fellows bear with me I'm a plumber trying to learn something new.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You can navigate directories the same way it was done in DOS. Files are in a systematic hierarchy, with / being the root directory, and everything else is underneath that. /home is a subdirectory of /, and /home/user is a subdirectory of home, with each user having his own subdirectory. Underneath each of these are more subdirectories, some having a . at the start, as in .firefox. These are hidden directories, which can be seen in Nautilus by pressing Ctrl-h. Directories are also known as folders, and the two terms are interchangeable.

You may need to change to different directories in order to manipulate files, but it's not strictly necessary, since you can always use the full path for all the files, but that's cumbersome. The command to change directories is cd, and you can change directly to any other directory by entering the full path. You can also change to the next higher directory by entering 'cd ..'. A period, '.', is shorthand for the current directory, and '..' means the next higher, wherever you are. You can always go to your home directory with 'cd ~'. You can use Nautilus, the file manager, to do the same thing graphically. For me, sometimes one is easier than the other, so I use whichever is easier at the moment. Sometimes the command line is more efficient, and sometimes the gui is better.

Just Joined!
    Sorry fellas, I printed your comments out this morning and although there're very detailed I don't know what the heck I'm doing. If only I knew someone locally that could show me. I'm all about hands on. I don't know anybody that's into computers around here. I don't suppose there's a video on youtube is there? I understand what your saying I just don't understand how to get the ball rolling. I downloaded Nautilas Scripts Manager and Nautilas Actions Configuration. Manager tells me I need to close it and open it back up. I'm feeling kinda stupid.

Just Joined!
    hey, no worries...we're here to help.

Open a terminal by opening the Applications menu, going to Accessories and selecting terminal.

At this point, you will need to Change Directory - CD - into the folder where you downloaded the file. Bear in mind that the default directory that the terminal opens up in will be your users home directory, so any commands given from this point on will be based on this assumption. At this point, I'm also going to assume that you have already unzipped the file from the archive.

To get to where the installer is, you need to know where it is located. Once you know where it is located, issue the following the command:

Code:
    cd path/to/installer
    or assuming that it is in your Downloads folder:

Code:
    cd Downloads
    At this point issue the following command to visually check that the file is there:

Code:
    ls
    If the file isn't there, then double check the location again, and start from the top. If it is there, then issue the following command to install the file:

Code:
    sudo ./lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh
    The exact file name and exentsion may vary slightly depending on what you downloaded, but that is the command to run the installer here on my machine.

Any troubles, just report back here.

Just Joined!
    Just real quick I'm trying to multi task. I want to move firefox to my second monitor so I can try your instructions and I went : system>preferences>monitors>unchecked mirror. Is there something else I need to do? Unless I'm doing something wrong nothing moves.

PS: the file is in my desktop and no I don't think it's unzipped.

PSS: i think i'm getting somewhere now. when i typed in ls it came back as: desktop>file(just as you have it)>public. I typed in: ./lexmark etc and it came back with no such file or directory. should i have put in sudo? what is sudo?

Update: Everything you told me to do worked. I got the drivers installed and everything looked good. However it won't print. It shows two printers in the tray. 1. 5600-6600-Series (which is the default) 2. My_Lexmark_5600-6600_Series. I've tried changing the default settings for each. No1 says the printer is busy printing (even tho it's not) and No2 says printer busy; will retry in 5 seconds and also printer not connected.
    Last edited by bobcat331; 01-18-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Sudo is an essential command, meaning "do as superuser". You can't change any system files, or any other files outside your home, as a normal user. Those belong to root, and only root (or superuser) can change them. You have to use sudo to install any packages to anywhere other than your home.

Open the printer queue from the panel (tray) and delete all pending jobs. The one which stalled is probably blocking all the others. Open System/Administration/Printing and right-click on one of the installed printers, preferably the non-default one. Select Properties, then click on Print Test Page. If it prints ok, change that one to be the default printer. If not, do it with the current default. If neither prints, delete both printers and click on the small triangle just to the right of the New button, and select Printer. Install a new one, and let the wizard find the printer and install the drivers for it. Then try printing with it.

Just Joined!
    Well I tried both printers one at a time after clearing the other jobs. Still isn't working. I deleted both printers and then let it find the printer and install the drivers which it did. But it's not printing the test page. In the printer properties box it says printer state: idle and in the document print status box it says status: processing.

Well, that usually means either an incorrect driver, or an incorrect URI. Is this a network printer or a local USB printer?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast