Find the answer to your Linux question:
Nothing on the web so far matches closely to my problem, so I am stumped. I have data DVDs created with Win XP SP3. They work fine on that machine.But ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Data DVD will not automount.

Nothing on the web so far matches closely to my problem, so I am stumped.

I have data DVDs created with Win XP SP3. They work fine on that machine.But they will not automount on CentOS V5.5. There is no message or icon. I can mount and dismount them manually, though.

CDs will automount properly on CentOS and appear as an icon on the desktop. This is what I want for the DVDs.

I'm using Gnome. I tried adding an entry to auto.misc, but I now suspect that autofs has nothing to do with this.

I noted that the HALdaemon is running and when the CD automounts, an entry appears in .hal-mtab file. The mtab-lock file stays empty.

Beyond that I have no other info or idea where to look.
    Regards,
    Lou.

Just Joined!
    [SOLVED]
    The problem was a physically damaged DVD. Although XP showed folders, it generated a read error when files were being copied. CentOS would not mount it at all.

I ran the following tests:
    - Created a new DVD with K3B, It automounted on CentOS and read fine on Windows XP.
    - Created a new DVD with Nero on XP. It automounted on CentOS and was readable there also.
    - Created a new multisession DVD on K3B and added more data to it using Nero on XP. It automounted on CentOS, and could be read there also. The reverse createn (first on Nero and then added to by K3B) also worked fine.