Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, so I have a 3 or 4 year old Compaq desktop computer, and it has been working great for us, until a few days ago, first off, I took ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Power problems

Okay, so I have a 3 or 4 year old Compaq desktop computer, and it has been working great for us, until a few days ago, first off, I took the graphics card from it to put in my Ubuntu machine, and it still ran fine after that, then a few days ago, I went behind the computers and cleaned up the cables, getting rid of tangles, and removing the ones we didn't need anymore, and after that, the computer hasn't been working properly, you press the power button, and it flashes green, and then turns off, while the fans and the CD drive light and the HDD light both do their normal lighting, nothing shows on the monitor, and no sounds come from the computer, then if you press and hold the power button to turn it off, it flashes green again and it goes off all lights and fans, and opened it up today, and cleaned all dust out, and made sure all the connections were good, yet that didn't help any, does anyone have a similar problem or know whats going on?

TIA
    Micah

The specs are:
    Windows 7 Pro
    Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz
    2 GB RAM

Since your problem started after you "cleaned up" your cables and unplugged unnecessary ones, I would carefully go over your cables and power cords to make sure everything is securely plugged in, all needed cables are present, and power strips haven't been accidentally turned off. If that doesn't work, try swapping out the monitor. If none of that works, check to make sure that when you removed the card from your computer, you didn't pull loose any connections, and verify that ram, other cards, and connections are all firmly seated.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Yes, all of them are securely connected, I will try a different power cable, I went in and made sure all connections were good inside there and cleaned it up all nice and good, we only have one UPS, and all monitors and computers are hooked up to that, the Ubuntu system is dual monitor and shares the second monitor through a blackbox, so I know the monitor is good, I went over the cables the other day, and today too... I will tell you what I come up with...

In your specs you list Windows 7. Go to distrowatch.com and download Ultimate linux, then burn the ISO image to a DVD. Insert this and run as a lived DVD (make sure your boot order is to boot from the DVD first). If your computer now works, it would indicate a Windows software problem, if it still wont turn on, then you have a hardware problem. Possible hardware malfunctions range from a bad power switch, or power supply going out, to mother board problems. If you have spares, and the expertise, you can start swapping out components to identify the problem. With the age of your system, it may be faster and cheaper in the long run to buy a new low spec computer than to take it to a computer shop for repair.

Its not even reaching the BIOS, so I won't be able to boot a cd, it is a hardware problem, I do have the expertise, and I don't want to spend money on this, I would rather buy a nice computer instead of fixing this one if it requires me to buy some replacement hardware...

If you are sure all the cables, wires, and components are properly seated, then you are down to time and money to track down the bad part. Alternately, you can spend the money on a new computer. It might be as simple and cheap as replacing the power supply, but it will be time consuming to track down the problem yourself or expensive to pay a shop to do it. In the end you would have a repaired older computer. Only you can decide if you would rather pursue fixing your present computer or replace it.

I want to at least attempt fixing it, cause thats what I am planning on doing for others, I want to start my own shop, so I am not wanting to pay a shop to do it for me, but I will see what I come up with