Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I am running Fedora 14 on a Lenovo B560 laptop. This laptop has a hardware peculiarity, namely Nvidia's newest gag: Optimus. This laptop has two graphics cards: an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lenovo B560 (Optimus, Nvidia 310M)

Hello all,

I am running Fedora 14 on a Lenovo B560 laptop.
    This laptop has a hardware peculiarity, namely Nvidia's newest gag: Optimus.
    This laptop has two graphics cards: an Intel GMA HD (for 2D) and a Nvidia 310 M (for 3D). The Optimus technology automatically activates the graphics card required for the current task.

Now, Optimus on linux is so far officially unsupported by Nvidia.

At the moment, my Fedora runs on the Intel GMA. I personally don't care if Optimus doesn't run on linux if I can somehow manually (even solely) use the Nvidia 310M graphics card.

Does anyone have any experience with this or ideas how to activate the Nvidia card?

Thank you in advance.

D

Just Joined!
    I am running OpenSuSE 11.3 on a Lenovo B560 laptop.
    This laptop has two graphics cards: an Intel GMA HD (for 2D) and a Nvidia 310 M (for 3D, Optimus technology )

Now, Optimus on linux is so far officially unsupported by Nvidia.

At the moment, my OpenSuSE runs on the Nvidia Card with the actual Nvidia driver. (said KDE sysinfo). 3d doesn't run because you can't change the xrandr to OpenGL.

I tried to fix the problem with acpi_call
    (linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/2010/07/using-acpicall-module-to-switch-onoff.html]Linux Hybrid Graphics: Using acpi_call module to switch on/off discrete graphics card in Linux)

but it does not fix my problem.

Does anyone have any more experience with this or ideas how to activate the Nvidia 3D and OpenGL ?

Regards
    Alexander

Just Joined!

Bump!

..running ubuntu studio on lenovo b560 (need 3d-support for blender)

theres a promising bugfix: (please google
    [vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2118873&postcount=22] as i am not allowed to post links yet ).

the other problem seems to be missing driver support of recent versions, have to investigate some more though...195.36.15 apperantly should work...

i tried the EDID-approach and different drivers, but so far no luck...

i would really love to see it solved by some of you geniouses
    (...at least without optimus)

i am fairly new to linux and also forums in general, so please be kind with me

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    To Norbert_Noob: you can post URL's here even before you get to the 15 post requirement. Just put the first part in some sort of discontiguous form, such as www dot xyzzy dot com/rest-of-url
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    heres the link i meant, thanks rubberman!: www dot nvnews dot net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2118873&postcount=22
    still no luck...would love to see it working