Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking for something around $150 (at most), and that will do for light gaming. No video encoding of any sort. I'm asking this here because in my research, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Video card recommendations?

I'm looking for something around $150 (at most), and that will do for light gaming. No video encoding of any sort.

I'm asking this here because in my research, I haven't found any candidates.

if you're getting a dedicated GPU, you really only have 2 choices (that I know of,) ATI or Nvidia. Nvidia tends to have better linux drivers, but they are proprietary. ATI releases a lot of their documentation, and has an open source (don't know if it's free or not) driver, but it is usually seen as inferior to Nvidias.

I tend to view tigerdirect.com to get an idea of what's out there at specific price ranges. You can sometimes find better deals, but it's a good place to look up hardware.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Ok if you are looking to spend 150 dollars for "light Gaming" your obviously new into the gaming world. I am not trying to be rude, I swear. The 9800 GT and the 200 Series are great gaming cards for cheap with great gaming performace.

Quote Originally Posted by InerTia* View Post
    Ok if you are looking to spend 150 dollars for "light Gaming" your obviously new into the gaming world. I am not trying to be rude, I swear. The 9800 GT and the 200 Series are great gaming cards for cheap with great gaming performace.
    I don't really understand. I currently have a gts 400 something that I bought for around 150 that works just fine for anything but cutting edge gaming. How is that not a good pricepoint?
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4