Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got a little bug with my Logitec Optical USB mouse. I can get my Debian system (Woody, with 2.4.18 Kernel) to see it to the point that it moves ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The mouse moves, but won't click.

I've got a little bug with my Logitec Optical USB mouse. I can get my Debian system (Woody, with 2.4.18 Kernel) to see it to the point that it moves around, and can click on the KMenu, clip controls, resize windows etc. However I cannot click inside a window. I cannot open a "file" menu, follow links or scroll. What seems especially wierd is the menus get highlighted when I hover over them (the box gets raised) so I know the mouse presence is getting detected.

I can "cat /dev/input/mice" and stuff appears whatever I click, whether it's in a window or outside (where everything works normally)

Also, on a side note, is it normal for the entirety of X-Windows to freeze if I unplug the mouse? I can't even ping the machine at the moment.

Edit: I don't believe it's a problem with XF86Config-4, as I've tried modifying it according to every posted variation I've seen. Additionally, it functions normally with Knoppix.

Just Joined!
    Hahaha, funny thing. Everybody's stumped, but it was when I was griping to a friend, he said "Whoa, that shouldn't happen at all. There's no way you should be able to do that. I say you burn the whole thing."

And we did. And now the mouse works reasonably well, although I'm forgetting some step in the USB setup process, but PS/2 works just fine. So I guess the lesson is: If stuff is being really wierd, kill it. At the very least, you get some satisfaction out of it.

EDIT: The Install was rotten. We wiped it and started over. No mice were burned in the fixing of this computer.

how well does a mouse burn?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close