Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed ubuntu at work. Now I need to take /home ... to my actual home How can I mount my usb drive as /home? Or is it better ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mount usb disk as home directory

I just installed ubuntu at work. Now I need to take /home ... to my actual home
    How can I mount my usb drive as /home? Or is it better to create a symbolic link to it?

It depends what you want to do on each system. If you mount a partition on the external drive to /home then you will not be able to use either system properly without the drive connected. If you are just wanting to use the drive to store data you can work on at either location then you are better off mounting a partition of the external drive to a separate folder rather than /home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    It depends what you want to do on each system. If you mount a partition on the external drive to /home then you will not be able to use either system properly without the drive connected. If you are just wanting to use the drive to store data you can work on at either location then you are better off mounting a partition of the external drive to a separate folder rather than /home.
    Thank you for your response. I am afraid I do not know exactly what I want to do
    Actually i am a teacher and i share the computer (server) at work with a collegue. Each one has her account and her students' accounts and we would like to take all these data with us when leaving work. Is it possible each one to have her own usb flash mounted as /home? And when the season is over, can we switch back to a /home on the hard disk?

There are a couple of things you probably want to think about before rolling out to all your students ...
    what happens when they turn up without a pen drive or it is corrupted
    who is responsible for backup of data and how is this achieved
    do you want each student to carry around only their own data or do you want them to be able to boot from the pen drive (assuming the PCs you have have that capability)
    can students use more than one PC to work on - adding each student as a user individually to 20 systems is going to be a pain
    are you going to have a single student login - and just have their data on their own pen drive
    are you going to let students share information and how will they achieve this

Personally I'd tend to keep the home folder on the hard drive. You need to work out the answers to some of the above before you can decide if a symlink to a pen drive is the best approach in your case.