Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I didn't found a solution yet, but I start thinking that one of the possible reasons could be an incompatibility between the USB drivers with the linux kernel version that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I didn't found a solution yet, but I start thinking that one of the possible reasons could be an incompatibility between the USB drivers with the linux kernel version that I am using.

00:0e.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    Subsystem: NEC Corporation Hama USB 2.0 CardBus
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 8, IRQ 23
    Memory at 48020000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
    Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd

00:0e.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    Subsystem: NEC Corporation Hama USB 2.0 CardBus
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 8, IRQ 23
    Memory at 48021000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd

00:0e.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    Subsystem: NEC Corporation USB 2.0
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 68, IRQ 23
    Memory at 48022000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
    Last edited by FSGfellow; 02-25-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Another possibility, which you probably don't want to hear, is a physical problem with the USB connector on the Samsung, which causes intermittent disconnects.

Just Joined!
    The Samsung connector should not be a problem since it works fine on my home computer running Ubuntu 10.10. I did not get errors in the logs.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    After one more week of testing, I noticed some more things:
    when a transfer files through remote/slow/ ssh connection, none of the errors occured.
    On the other side, when a local/fast/ conection is established (using SAMBA), the errors from the first post start appearring.

So, this behaiour might be either overload of some buffers in USB drivers OR smth related to SAMBA

bsw
    Just Joined!
    I am having a very similar issue and my situation leads me to suspect that is is something to do with the way Samba interacts with the drive enclosure that is causing the problem.

I have a 1TB WD MyBook attached to my Ubuntu 10.10 system (2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP). This has been happening for a long time and certainly since 10.04.

This MyBook has all my media on it - music and video. I share it using Samba to my laptop for music only and via NFS to my AppleTV for both music and video. I never have a problem reading music or video (some quite high bitrate) from it over NFS, but whenever I access my music from my laptop using SMB the disk dies. It is variable - sometimes it will run for an hour or so, sometimes it dies after only 10 mins. If it dies, I unmount the filesystem, power cycle the disk, fsck and remount. Then it will only run for 5-10 mins and fail again.

It "feels" to me like Samba is maybe reading lots of small blocks or something and working the drive too hard to the point where some internal failsafe stops it. And, maybe NFS is more efficient and reads/caches larger chunks and lets the drive rest and it can last longer...?

I don't think this is a USB specific problem. It also happened to me when I had the same disk attacked with eSATA.

I'm going with the theory that it is Samba somehow pushing the drive enclosure too hard so my plan is to move some data around so I can remove and old 20GB (remember them ...) drive from the machine, break open the MyBook and put the 1TB disk inside with SATA.

I sure hope it is an enclosure rather than a drive issue...

Take care,

Brian

Just Joined!
    Hi, bsw
    are you getting the same list of errors as me?
    What is the file system format that you are using on the external HDD?

bsw
    Just Joined!
    I just get

Code:
    [986641.104026] usb 1-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
    [986656.216522] usb 1-5: device descriptor read/64, error -110
    [986671.432023] usb 1-5: device descriptor read/64, error -110
    [986671.648517] usb 1-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
    [986686.760518] usb 1-5: device descriptor read/64, error -110
    [986701.976025] usb 1-5: device descriptor read/64, error -110
    repeated until I power off the disk.

I'm running ext4 on it.

Take care,

Brian

Just Joined!
    Could make the following test:
    Disable the SAMBA and R/W to the HDD only through SSH. There are programs that can map a SSH partions over ssh in Windows. Try to copy several GBs of data and see whether you still have the problem.
    Although you might not use the AppleTV for sometime, but it is a way to verify that the problem is caused by the Samba.

bsw
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGfellow View Post
    Could make the following test:
    Disable the SAMBA and R/W to the HDD only through SSH. There are programs that can map a SSH partions over ssh in Windows. Try to copy several GBs of data and see whether you still have the problem.
    Although you might not use the AppleTV for sometime, but it is a way to verify that the problem is caused by the Samba.
    Sorry, no. I just don't have time at the minute.

Also, I use the Apple TV for most of my TV viewing. I download a lot The disc gets a good 2 - 4 hour workout most nights with NFS access from the Apple TV. I only occasionally fire up fb2k to listen to some music on my laptop while I work and when I do the disk invariably dies.

I just copied a couple of 4GB files to and from the disk using Samba from my Windows laptop and it worked fine. So, for me it seems even more specific - only when I use foobar2000 to play music that is mounted from a Samba share...

Take care,

Brian

Just Joined!
    So, the other solution is to make a script and assign it to cron, so it will get automatically executed every 10 or 15 mins. The script should be composed by the commands that you use to umount, fsck and mount the partition.

I know that it is not the perfect solution (it is not even a solution, it is just a way to tweak the problem), but at least it is going to save you some time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2