Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Is it possible to run Linux on Macs without any additional configuration such as Boot Camp/etc? I have a SATA storage device that has presents a GUI to the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Linux on Macs

Hi,

Is it possible to run Linux on Macs without any additional configuration such as Boot Camp/etc?

I have a SATA storage device that has presents a GUI to the user in a simple Linux installation, and ideally it should be platform independent, i.e. boot up into the GUI in all platforms. I'm having mostly success on various PCs, however, it's not booting up in a Macbook Pro that I have. AFAIK the MBPs and all modern Mac systems use EFI rather than BIOS, could this be the problem?

Just Joined!
    I run Linux on my Macbook. While I initially used bootcamp (and it would think I am running Windows), awhile ago I installed rEFIt and that makes it easier. Every time you boot up it presents the screen to choose OS, though it will autoboot into Mac after half a minute or so.

Linux Newbie
    Do these utilities(bootcamp/rEFIt) install anything on the drive, or does it make system changes on the host PC? If it's the former, will the modified drives boot on regular x86 non Mac PCs?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close