Find the answer to your Linux question:
have ubuntu 10.10 nvidia Ion for graphics - all installed and activated. resolution says its set for the monitor - HDTV w/ HDMI connection. Have tried to change resolution to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

panels just off screen

have ubuntu 10.10 nvidia Ion for graphics - all installed and activated. resolution says its set for the monitor - HDTV w/ HDMI connection. Have tried to change resolution to fix problem - no change.
    The top/bottom panels are just off screen - as is any info displayed on the right/ left margins. I can run the mouse around the edge of the screen and "find" what's there - but I would prefer to actually "shrink" the screen so all is visible.
    Any help is appreciated.

If monitor doesn't do the job, try fiddling with your monitor/TV controls themselves. They may just need to have the picture size shifted or shrunk slightly.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Have you installed Graphics driver?
    Post the output of these commands :
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i vga
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks MASONTX - I had forgotten that the TV monitor had to be told to act like a PC Monitor, and that I needed to do it through the TV settings. I do have to use the VGA and not the HDMI though.