Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't know how old the problem is because I haven't tried to print out of the gimp for some time. Now when I try, the job does not go ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Cups and gimp have stopped working together

I don't know how old the problem is because I haven't tried to print out of the gimp for some time. Now when I try, the job does not go into the printer queue and I get this message in the cups error log:

E [08/Mar/2011:16:58:07 +0000] Returning IPP client-error-document-format-not-supported for Print-Job (ipp://localhost:631/printers/My_printer) from localhost

The only way I can get round this at the moment is to print to a file (pdf) and then print this file using xpdf.

I can print from OOo as well as xpdf; the problem appears to be specific to the gimp.

This is in Crux. I can't check in Debian as I don't have the gimp there (though I suppose I could install it experimentally).
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Distributions and versions of stuff can make a lot of difference (as you know) Hazel. Example, on CentOS 5.5 running Firefox, I couldn't print to my cups printer - same sort of issue. So, if I wanted to print a web page or gmail message I had to do the same thing - print to pdf and then print from the pdf. It didn't matter which version of firefox I was running, or which kernel, cups driver, etc. Now I am running on RHEL/SL6 and the problem has gone away... Go figure! Haven't tried Gimp. BTW, what kernel is your Crux system running?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    BTW, what kernel is your Crux system running?
    2.6.35. But I doubt if the kernel has anything to do with it. This isn't really a printer problem, so we're probably in the wrong forum. It has to do with communication between the gimp and cups.

Annoyingly I can't remember whether I printed anything out of the gimp since upgrading to 2.7; I only use it to print music.

I tried again yesterday with cups in debug mode and got this interesting message: Print-Job client-error-document-format-not-supported: Unsupported format 'application/pdf'!

Which is distinctly odd because what I was trying to print wasn't a pdf, it was a png image. I am going to try to print from a real pdf but in the gimp, not in xpdf (I already know that works). We'll see what happens.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

OK, tried it with a real pdf in the gimp and still get the same error messages. Yet I can print pdfs from xpdf without cups complaining that it can't understand the format. Grr!

Have you ever tried reading the cups online manual? I've never seen such a load of gobbledegook.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you tried removing/reinstalling your printer driver (.PDD)?

No, it's definitely a bug in the gimp. I reported it yesterday on the Crux mailing list and got this reply from one of the developers:

"Thanks for the report, I'm able to reproduce the problem here. Seems that printing with gimp via the gtk+ printer API is broken currently. Dunno why, but it might be a problem with new ghostscript 9.x."

They're going to fix it with a new gutenprint port.

Edit: Yes! It works now. There's an additional option on the print menu - print with gutenprint - and that one prints, though the standard print option still doesn't. The gutenprint dialog isn't as nice as the standard one but it's better than nothing.
    Last edited by hazel; 03-12-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Update
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Thanks for the heads-up Hazel. As usual, you are spot on. It's always a pleasure to read your posts.