Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an old Dell Dimension 2400 that I want to test out as a backup server using BackupPC. I plan on installing CentOS 5.5 as I already have the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SATA controller advice

I have an old Dell Dimension 2400 that I want to test out as a backup server using BackupPC. I plan on installing CentOS 5.5 as I already have the DVD, though I could go with another flavor. I want to install a SATA PCI controller card so I can use larger hard drives. Before purchasing, I hoped someone could offer some advice as I haven't done this kind of thing before with Linux.

Would most distros handle the common cards you can get at TigerDirect etc or do I need to be particular about driver considerations? Should there be any problems handling large drives, 1T or 2T on such a setup? Anything else to consider?

Thanks for any help.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Most controllers with Intel or Silicon Image chip sets will work well with Linux (I have both - the Intel built into the motherboard, and an Addonics PCI-X board). However, I don't think your system supports PCI-X, so here is a link to an Addonics Sata3 board with 5 internal sata ports and 1 external sata port: Buy.com - Addonics HPM-XA SATA RAID Controller - Serial ATA/300 - PCI - Plug-in Card

There may be better (and cheaper) options for you, but you will need to look. Go to the manufacturer's web site and see if they mention Linux support, and if not, contact their tech/sales support people - a lot of these controllers are supported by Linux directly with kernel modules that are installed by default into the system. You also probably want to be sure that the board supports what is call a port multiplier feature. What that means is that one sata port can be used to control an entire enclosure (array) of discs. That allows you to easily create RAIDs for the cost of some cheap discs and an enclosure. I put together an 8TB array for about $600 USD that way.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!